or Connect

Posts by Bob Pariseau

I've confirmed that the Distance Adjustment Bug also exists in the 103 (current firmware) for the LF/RF pair of speakers. My test 103 configuration is only wired for Stereo Analog, so I've not checked any of the other speaker pairs, but I think the odds are good that all are affected. For those arriving late, a reminder that this only affects the ANALOG audio outputs. if you are using HDMI Audio you are not affected by this. If you are using the ANALOG audio outputs...
That's not a contradiction, it's just a reflection of the confusing markings on discs.The player (as shipped from OPPO) *DOES* only play Region 1 and Region ALL discs. However some multi-region discs are labeled like "1/2/4". So the player will play a disc marked as ALL or marked with Region 1 as one of the included numbers.--Bob
First, we are talking about a 103, right? This is the thread for the OPPO 93. But no matter.The players (both 93 and 103) as sold by OPPO are not region free -- Blu-ray licensing prohibits that. They can play discs from the region local to where they are sold (whether NTSC or PAL discs) and from the "ALL" region. But the SuperDisc, when properly applied, really does make them region-free for SD-DVDs.So the next question is whether the SuperDisc was properly applied. ...
^ Not yet. It's not confirmed in the 103/103D yet, and I'd like to hear from OPPO that it really is affecting all the speaker channels. (Bench testing with a scope is the definitive test.) But for folks here who've resorted to all 0 foot distances, the "workaround" distances should work better. If I've sussed this out correctly.... --Bob
That sounds like a fun project!And it's certainly nice to hear about a million dollar system that's not made up of $5,000 power cords and the like... --Bob
^ I normally let my D2v do the distance adjustments -- even when using multi-channel Analog from the 105D. That is, I leave the speakers set equidistant in the OPPO and put the actual speaker distances into the D2v. So I wouldn't have noticed this bug when it was introduced, since the last time I checked the distance adjustment stuff as part of Beta Testing was quite some time ago. As it turns out, my speaker layout is pretty symmetric, so it doesn't surprise me that I...
I've no easy way to verify that the Subwoofer distance adjustment is also being screwed up, but I think the odds are good that it is. Which means, yes, you want to enter a "workaround" distance for the Subwoofer as well -- and the actual Subwoofer distance should be part of your calculation of the Average. The reason is not for positioning of bass in the surround field. (Bass is non-localizable -- it appears to come "from everywhere".) The reason is because proper...
^ Sure, that's what the math does. I just figured it would make more sense to people if they could see how the math was accomplishing the reversal of the distance delta. --Bob
^ Keep in mind the absolute distance values aren't important. What matters is the +/- distance difference between pairs of speakers. By swapping your 9 and 6 foot distances you turned a +3 difference into -3 which is the desired "workaround" result. On the other hand if you have other speakers you need to adjust ALL the distances so that the distance delta is properly reversed for every pairing. The math using the Average accomplishes that. --Bob
The decoding option for HDCD is grayed out whenever any disc is loaded (or you are playing media files). Eject the tray and the decoding option will now be available in Setup.There is newer firmware for the player. The firmware release notes are available in the first post of this thread. Improved detection of SACD and DVD-A discs is not listed as one of the fixes for the newer firmware, but if you get in touch with OPPO, odds are they'll tell you to update the firmware...