or Connect

Posts by Bob Pariseau

It's just the way the disc is authored, and there's nothing the player can do automatically to override the default audio track choice made by the studio. Blu-ray Certification requires the player to abide by the disc's defaults.As for WHY the studios chose to do that, it's anybody's guess. The Blu-ray spec already provides a mechanism for handling the case where the disc by default (or the user by menu or button) selects a high bit-rate audio track when that can't be...
^ Yes, and yes. And yes. --Bob
^ See my comments on Darbee in post #3 at the top of this thread. For a "set and forget" setting, I recommend 35% for Hi-def and 30% for Full Pop. I recommend Hi-def when viewing HD content and Full Pop when viewing SD content. For poor quality content, it is probably best to leave Darbee OFF. For high quality content, higher Darbee percentages will also work, but limit yourself to the lower percentages if you don't want to keep fiddling with the value. --Bob
The QDEO excels at noise reduction. Of course that's only really relevant if you watch poorer quality content. Most people leave Noise Reduction in the 103 set to the Default (0) value. Please note that Noise Reduction does not mean "noise repair". Once the content is damaged you can't fix that -- the information has been permanently lost. All you can do is blur the damage to make it less noticeable. Better Noise Reduction accomplishes that without the blurring...
First, the picture advantages of the 103D do not require the use of Darbee. Darbee processing is an extra goody -- you can just leave it off if you prefer. See my post at the top of this thread for my recommendations on how to use Darbee.Second, it is pretty much a given that video processing in satellite/cable set top boxes is godawful. The real advantage of running their signal through the OPPO is when you configure them to BYPASS their own video processing. That...
^ Looks like Netflix is having a server side problem affecting some, but not all of their client platforms out there. The problem appears to be clearing up on its own -- I presume because they are rolling out a change to their various servers. My guess would be the problem will be cleared up tonight or tomorrow. --Bob
^ No. --Bob
Gary, you say the firmware is up to date, but since you folks in Australia get your own firmware build, I want to double check. In Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information, your Main firmware version should end "0218" (or possibly "0218au"). There are recent firmware changes related to the generation of "phantom Center" audio.Next I would suggest you do a Reset of the player. You can do this more easily by saving your settings to a USB stick for reload afterwards...
Check that you have the latest firmware installed. In Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information, the Main firmware version number should end "0218".Note that if the player ever does become unresponsive, there is a Power Off Failsafe you can use. Just press Power once on the remote or Front Panel, and be patient. If the player does not respond normally, then after about 10 seconds or so the Power Off Failsafe will shut down the player anyway. I.e., no need to unplug...
^ First of all, I strongly disagree that Darbee doesn't do anything for folks with "normal" size displays. Folks with big screen projector setups may like it more, but Darbee certainly DOES do its thing for folks with displays under 60 inches as well, even when viewed from normal seating distances. Second, see my post near the top of the 103D thread. Setting Darbee to a low percentage processing value lets you forget about it. It is a "set and forget" setting that will...