or Connect

Posts by Bob Pariseau

Uh, yes, it SHOULD produce an audible change, right? You are asking me to compare correct distances vs. incorrect distances in the OPPO, with the D2v doing no distance adjustment in either case.I've no explanation for why you would find the incorrect distances to sound better. I could make some guesses, but they'd just be guesses. The point is, there certainly SHOULD be a difference. Now it SHOULD be the case that correct distances sound better, so that still leaves an...
I also just tested a CD: "Däfos", Reference Recordings, RR 12 CD. In particular the track, "The Gates of Däfos", which is a particularly good test of audio quality and imaging. I started with a configuration in the 105D of down-mix 7.1, all 7 speakers LARGE and Sub ON, all speakers with 0dB Volume Trim, and all speakers equidistant at 0.00 feet. Thus my D2v was handling the volume trims and the speaker distance adjustments. Again, this is with the Dedicated L/R wired...
Omar, I can *NOT* confirm your Analog audio quality problem reports for speaker distance adjustment and 5.1 down-mix. I tested on the 105D, using the LPCM 5.1 192Khz 24-bit track from 2L's, "The Nordic Sound", Blu-ray. NOTE: I have the Dedicated L/R RCA jacks wired in lieu of LF/RF from the multi-channel set, with Stereo Signal FRONT LEFT/RIGHT. Even though I only have 5.1 Analog cabled to my Anthem Statement D2v, to duplicate your conditions as closely as possible I...
If the MediaTek were really screwing up the processing to the Analog audio outputs, that would be obvious by comparing against HDMI audio output through a competent pre-pro. For example, I use Down-mix 5.1 for the Analog outputs and have detected no difference in quality for Stereo and 5.1 content compared to HDMI audio into my D2v -- which of course bypasses that down-mix. This is true both for high bit-rate LPCM tracks and high bit-rate Bitstream tracks with Bitstream...
If the issue turns out to be specific to DVD-A, I'm going to have difficulty spotting it as I use SACD. But I'll try both SACD (PCM) and high bit-rate music Blu-ray discs and see what happens. --Bob
Another easy test in my configuration would be to leave all speakers at the same distance (i.e., my normal setup where the D2v does the time alignment), except alter just one surround speaker by just 1/2 foot. Given the choice of speaker and the small distance change, that should make no significant difference in the audio. If there IS a substantial difference in the front sound staging that would say the act of engaging time alignment is screwing something up. I'll...
Distance adjustment is done in the MediaTek SystemOnChip, not in the DACs. All the processing in the digital domain is done by the MediaTek. The MediaTek models are different for each generation of players. Again, distance adjustment is SIMPLE in concept. If it is screwing up -- and so far I've not heard confirmation of that -- then that's a bug. There really shouldn't be a component cost issue here at all. It's just bookkeeping in the buffering of the digital...
Omar, Also, are you saying that all 0 distances works better than leaving all distances at the factory default 12 foot values. If so, that would definitely represent a bug. The two cases -- all 0 feet and all 12 feet -- should result in IDENTICAL processing. --Bob
^ The processors in the 83, 95, and 105 are all different. Same company, but different models. As it turns out, I do my distance trimming in my Anthem Statement D2v -- i.e., the OPPO has all speakers set to the same distance. I happen to use a bogus value of 13 feet for that (instead of the 12 foot factory default) just to tickle up bugs. I could try using all 0s instead, and I could try disabling the distance trim in the D2v and using "real" values in the 105D. Have...
Omar, How very odd! I wonder what could be happening in your case? I've not heard of any other reports suggesting there is an audio quality problem with speaker distance adjustment on the multi-channel Analog outputs. And it is trivially easy for OPPO to confirm correct function here via a simple bench test. Just put a scope on any pair of channel outputs, play a pulse tone through both of those channels simultaneously, and see if the expected delay for the "closer"...