or Connect

Posts by Bob Pariseau

Yes, if there's a problem it is likely fixable in firmware. (Most of the stuff in the firmware has to do with the operation of the MediaTek processor.)As I said in the post above, this distance adjustment processing SHOULD be straightforward, stream buffer bookkeeping -- nothing complicated in the way of math or other fancy algorithms. The clocking of digital audio data into the DACs is not subject to jitter.I do not hear a problem here, but if you have a reproducible...
OmarF, You are incorrect about the DAC assignments. The setting in Speaker Configuration > Down-Mix (with choices of Stereo, LT/RT, 5.1, or 7.1) has no effect on the way the DACs are assigned. This is true in both the 95 and the 105. The DAC assignment is set by the hardware and not changed by user options. The selection of Stereo or LT/RT in that Speaker Configuration > Down-Mix setting should have no effect at all on the Dedicated Stereo L/R jacks so long as the...
^ The firmware history can be found in the first post of this thread. The changes are listed there. Personally, I think it is wise to take advantage of the updates and bug fixes; such updates are part of the reason to buy an OPPO player in the first place. The latest Official firmware is what's shipping in new players, now. If the player offers a Recommended Reset on the first power up after a firmware install, you SHOULD do that, to establish proper operation of the...
No news on that yet. --Bob
Interesting. The only other thing I can suggest to try is to re-activate Netflix on the player. That is, go to Setup > Device Setup and deactivate Netflix. Power cycle the player and launch the Netflix app. You will need to re-enter your Netflix login credentials. There's really nothing more that can be done to reset the app in the player. Any other fixes will have to come from Netflix undoing whatever they broke in the first place.--Bob
^ It appears that Netflix screwed up something rolling out a change to their servers, and has been trying to recover -- with mixed success. For a while they were running an Alert on their Help page saying they were aware of problems streaming to Blu-ray players and connected TVs, even though other types of client devices were working OK, but they've since taken down that Alert without further explanation. The problem seems to be related to which Netflix server you have...
There are lots of reasons why supposedly identical speakers would produce different results in a real room, even to the extent that they are not really identical, perhaps because one of them has a faulty driver or crossover electronics. But in your list, item #3 is by far the most likely explanation.--Bob
^ The Judder I'm talking about is not "cadence judder" (the thing you try to cure by maintaining /24 video) but rather "motion judder" which is consequence of sloppy camera work -- attempting to film motion that's too fast to be recorded cleanly at only 24fps. I.e., "motion judder" is baked into the original film. It's typical for people spotting "motion judder" to report that they only see it in rapidly moving stuff. As it turns out, using /60 video helps conceal...
The Speaker Configuration > Down-mix setting only applies to the multi-channel Analog outputs (which includes the case where you are using the Dedicated L/R jacks in lieu of the normal LF/RF jacks because you have Stereo Signal FRONT LEFT/RIGHT set).For the normal use of a separately wired pair from the Dedicated L/R jacks -- i.e., with Stereo Signal DOWN-MIXED STEREO set -- all those settings in the Analog Speaker Configuration menu are ignored.Technically the Dedicated...
gjwAudio, I suspect if you try LPCM output of 4.0 content discs on the Sony PS3 or modern Blu-ray players (such as the recent OPPOs) you will find they ALL output LPCM 5.1 to the D2. I seriously doubt all of them have the D2 listed as a special case. Of course LPCM 2.0 content should be output as 2.0, not 5.1. --Bob