or Connect

Posts by DJMarceau

Stivie, Thanks. I have been in neutral for pretty much this summer . The theater signage is the "last" thing I need to do to call this complete. Once I get a few more chores done around the house I'll make it back into my woodshop to finish carving the sign. I just clicked on your link. I'm impressed. Very nice collection indeed. I had not seen the Shadow and Flame Forums before so I will have to spend some time to go through it..
With spring time here I've been spending most of my time outdoors. But on rainy days I am getting some work done on the finishing touches. I've gone thru and completed all the little touch ups to paint, filling in nail holes, removing the last of the blue painters tape, etc. Now I'm working on the sign that will be seen as you go down the stairwell. The next is a series of pics on the design. I'm just about ready to transfer it to the basswood sign. My plans are to...
Brian, Per your PM request below is a sketch of how I constructed the walls and arches. The top view shows that the basic wall is a 2 wall construction. The reason I did this was because I had to work around several block pilasters and basement windows on the main wall. This allowed me to have a flat plane to size and space the arches evenly..... This is a side view..... The arches are double 1/2" plywood with 2x fillers sandwiched between them. The...
So I've spent the last 1-1/2 weeks making my version of backlit poster display boxes. I picked out (3) spots along the hallway where they will be hung during the construction phase and installed (3) 110 VAC outlets to plug the lights in. First off the basic design. After reviewing several threads I chose to go with a back loading design with a swing out door. The poster is attached to the diffuser panel with a small gap between the poster and the front acrylic...
My son says if a thief comes into the house when he is home the first place he is going is the basement. He switches back and forth between the dwarf axe and the uruk-hai simitar as his means of dispatching intruders...: Of course I remind him to never bring a knife to a gun fight....
Saldog, I'm afraid I didn't take any in-progress pictures . When I'm in the building groove I forget to take pictures. But I did take some of them installed and whipped up some sketches to explain how I went about building the media shelves. First off I built the carcass out of 2x6's and 5/8 plywood. Below is a basic sketch. Everything is glued and screwed together to make a strong frame that won't sag over time. I then sanded and pre-sealed the carcass. Then...
Thanks. It pretty much matches up with my vision when I started this "little" project 5 years ago. Its hard to believe I'm almost at the finish of this thing. After this I'm going to swear off major home improvements for a while. I want to just enjoy this.No problem. Let me go back thru my photo's and see what I have. I'll take a few more up close of some of the details and will post them along with a sketch of the design. I'll try to get something up by tomorrow.
This is the part I've been waiting for since the theater was finished. The past few weeks I have working on constructing all the shelves for all the statues that I have. After a few trials I settled on a simple shelf design with a curved front and 1-2 brackets for support. Each shelf is hung off d-rings on heavy duty drywall screws intended for hanging stuff. Each shelf is routed with a simple roman ogee bit then spray painted with (2) coats of matte black and (2)...
Thanks. It's my way of lulling everyone into a false sense of security when entering the basement. Then they round the corner into the game room and they run into the full onslaught of my LOTR geekness. But seriously, the goal has been to create a living area that anyone would want to go to and enjoy. Once my passion for Tolkein subsides or my wife says it time for something different (aka more suitable for normal folk ) its just a matter of simple redocorating as...
Not much exciting in this post. Spent the last few days installing the handrail going downstairs. This was the last piece of major construction for the build. Just a few pics for your viewing pleasure..... That leaves just making the shelves for all the statues, lighted poster boxes, and an entry sign. After that I'll build some furniture for the bar/game room area; bar stools and a poker table.