or Connect

Posts by erick.s

Cerwin Vega or Klipsch. I had a pair of the CV AT-15s you listed at one point when I was in college and they could definitely play LOUD. They'll work well with moderate power but really respond well to higher wattage amps.
Nothing at all wrong with that - fantastic find! I constantly have my eyes out for awesome vintage equipment scores but around me I'm lucky if I find speakers from an Aiwa shelf system in my Goodwill store.
There are a lot of ways to answer your question but probably the biggest reason tower speakers are thinner today has to do with the proliferation of powered subwoofers. Most people use powered subs in their systems these days so many manufacturers aren't pushing to deliver deep bass with their speaker designs, especially at the lower price points. That's an overly simplistic answer to a complicated question, but there it is. Vintage speakers do tend to push out more bass,...
Agreed - these are really rough and definitely looks like someone pulled the speakers for some reason and tried replacing them with something non-stock based on the weird ring wear around the woofers. I wouldn't pay any amount of money for those personally.
In the past when I've run a sub in a two channel system with mains that weren't full range, I've always gone speaker level from my amp to the sub's inputs then speaker level from the sub's outputs to my mains, allowing the sub's internal crossover to handle bass management. I've done this with a few setups (though the most memorable for me was a set of B&W Matrix 805s paired with a Velodyne active servo 12" sub) and I was happy with the result. The only downside I can...
Agree with this - though a manufacturer may not list a 4 ohm spec, that doesn't mean an amp won't drive a 4 ohm load. The amp will run hotter (as anything driving a lower impedance will) but still should play music just fine.
I would also throw in a vote for picking up an integrated if you can. I have an NAD C372 (that I'm going to be putting up for sale soon to go with separates) that I use with my LSi25s and it does a great job. There's lots of versatility and flexibility when you use something like an integrated (or a dedicated preamp) that you're losing otherwise.
There isn't any hard and fast rule on this. I've heard smaller drivers go deeper than larger ones and vice versa. The differences usually come from cabinet design. The enclosure build quality makes more of a difference than driver size, all other things being equal.
Another vote for the LSi. Really great sounding speaker line (I have the LSi25s) and are an excellent value at the current closeout prices.
Accurate reproduction should be the goal but every piece of your system colors the sound to a certain extent and speakers are probably the worst culprit. Most people will be happier buying what sounds best to them over what is more accurate. Besides which accurate do you shoot for? The performers? The producers? The Dolby guys? It can get to be a slippery slope.