or Connect

Posts by videditor

I just worked a ESPN 3D football game... Don't be surprised to see ESPN drop the 3D channel. It is supported by Sony, who supplied most of the gear. That contract runs out in approx six months. Right now 3D production is expensive and to do it right, and it means facilities have to give TV more "right of ways" I'll call them. And that's great for a one offs, but for every show... the camera position requirements will upset the venues. I am not that impressed with 3D TV...
Redzone is only available in HD (on Buckeye at least).It looks great on my tv.. I see nothing has changed on this forum... You guys think that HD is just plug & play...well it is not. I am changing my facility over to HD, which means everything down the line needs re-worked, re-bought and re-designed. Like I have said in the past, HD is still in infant. For example, one major network this NFL year is shooting full 16x9, not protecting for 4x3. So 3 (4?) years into the NFL...
Just to make clear... just because it's 16x9 does not make it HD. I have had broadcast cameras able to do 16x9 for years, but it's still SD. They just flipped some switches on SD gear... I think it's cool that they are using that capability... I mean it's right there, flip a few switches on cameras, monitors & switchers... I would be surprised if any Toledo news station goes HD this year. Who wants to see Toledo news in HD anyway? Anything local programming for that...
Been testing SDV for over a month now... Had some bugs with different STBs, but all has been smooth now for weeks. Channel surfing is OK... not the speed of light, but I'll take that and more HD over nothing. Sure would be nice to get everyone on a STB and cut off analog. That's what they would have to do if they went satellite anyway-right?
That is exactly what the plan is...
Yeah... Barry is one of the main engineers @ WTVG, I've been to NAB with him (years back). Any signal converted to "said" reso will be output @ that res...It's not magic, it's about a $4000 black box. Like it was said before, does not mean it's a native res. Also... the 16x9 SD output WTVG is using, basically if it's like the gear I have, is a SD widescreen chip set camera. It is actually 50 scan line less res, but will output 16x9 signal. We used several production...
I spent a morning shooting video of this process for Buckeye. Really cool! The core comes shooting out. Instant conduit. We did a 500ft run in a couple hours. The best part is- no service interruption since they are blowing out the old B-Side cable runs. Secret is the solution they use to shrink the core. VidEditor
Well they are...And those boxes are costly...There are still analog boxes out there that people will not return, a free exchange for a digital version!. At some point boxes will have be required as the analog users have to be chewing up bandwidth that us HD viewers would like to use. Really, how can they complain...they just have to pretend they have sat. receiver.Cable should be no different in order for technology to move forward. If the analog was gone, we would not...
Low end game...not worth the extra production money for HD costs-trucks & transmission. Not to mention the fact that this is a VERY busy time for remote production (baseball, NCAA Ftball & NFL). Most football is a two day operation and the amount of HD trucks would be tight during this time. VE
Sorry about that...that was what I was sent...