or Connect

Posts by jtbell

7.2 is a subchannel of WDBJ. Digital channels 7.1 and 7.2 are bundled together on "Real" channel 18. Similarly, 15.3 is a subchannel of WBRA-DT on "Real" channel 3.TVFool doesn't show subchannels separately, only the "main" .1 channel. If you can receive the main channel, you should be also able to receive any subchannels that come along with it.
This sounds like the amplified signals are overloading your tuner. A TVFool chart would help clarify this, as already noted. It would also help if you tell us which channels are being adversely affected by the booster.
The "big 4" OTA networks split down the middle: CBS and NBC are 1080i; ABC and FOX are 720p. I think PBS is usually 1080i, but I seem to remember reading that some PBS stations use 720p. I think the CW and MyNetworkTV are normally 1080i, but someone is welcome to correct me on that.
5. Get a programmable remote like a Logitech Harmony that can turn on the Blu-ray, TV and AVR and set the inputs properly, with the press of a single button.
This suggests that you're getting your Internet from your local cable company. That cable probably also carries all their cable TV channels. Even though you're not using those channels, they're still on the cable and interfering with the signals from the antenna.In general, you cannot mix antenna signals and cable TV signals on the same cable.
One of gbynum's screenshots shows the callsign W28DB-D, so that hasn't changed, at least. The FCC database still lists the owners as Carolina Christian Broadcasting.Before they added the second subchannel, it seemed like most times of day they showed infomercials, and in primetime they showed various English-language religious programs. Mostly 4:3 material stretched to 16:9. Generally a very "soft" picture. Sometimes it was stuck on some kind of Linux desktop, presumably...
Correct. I have a Philips DVD player hooked up to my TV via component video, specifically for playing TV-show DVDs that have CC instead of subtitles. I had to set the player's output to 480i (progressive scan "off") to make this work; 480p doesn't carry CC.
Another possibility would be to send the optical or coaxial digital audio output from the satellite box to a good digital-to-analog audio converter (DAC), and feed its analog outputs to your pre-amp. For a while, I used a Musical Fidelity V-DAC to connect an Apple TV (which I use mainly for streaming lossless audio files from my computer) to an NAD integrated amp. (Then I got a good deal on an NAD receiver with HDMI inputs, to which I connect the Apple TV directly.)
I know there are a lot of crappy antennas out there but... Anyway, yeah, the first thing I'd try is a simple loop and rabbit ears combination that you can get for maybe $15 from Radio Shack or Best Buy. If you don't have a SW-facing window, try it in various locations and orientations in your apartment. TV signals can bounce around in odd ways indoors.
To put it another way, you need the equivalent of a cable or satellite box (or DVR), but for OTA signals. Although A/V receivers can receive and tune radio broadcasts (AM/FM) simply by hooking up an antenna, they can't do the same with OTA TV broadcasts, basically for historical reasons. It wasn't until about the last 10-15 years that a lot of people started to integrate TVs into high-quality sound systems. By then, most people had switched from OTA to cable or satellite,...