or Connect

Posts by Jagergeek

Here's a great resource: http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun...#lineup_696223 But you won't find any HD channels in the clear other than broadcast stations. Comcast has encrypted all those. Even if you're paying for them - you must use their crappy hardware to decode. Or, cable cards...
Comcast has been out in the recent past and re-terminated everything. I've scheduled a service call to deal with the missing channels - We'll see....
After years of consistent service - about 2 weeks ago my cable modem started dropping badly - 3 new WAN IPs in 2 days. I swapped out modems and it's a bit better, but drops about once or twice a day. This is getting old. I asked about a DOCSIS 3.0 modem and they said none were available yet. So - only downgrades so far for me. Oh - and several channels are missing like FUSE. What's up with that?!
I live in the same area you do. First, you should know that you can receive all local digital channels off-air for free. I'm doing this now to a Tivo Series 3 - which is nice because it integrates them into my Comcast lineup. I'm pretty sure the Dish setup integrates antenna into their PVR as well. Comcast will give you the best HD quality (less compression) vs. satellite which is known to compromise quality for quantity. However, it's expensive. If you have an old...
I feel your pain - It's unfortunate the FCC rules actually force stations to take away a useful community service. 2 more thoughts on this situation - 1) WDEF management may want to look deeper into this and find a way to restore it quickly. If they let that channel die - they loose the opportunity to get this channel on Comcast and even listed in program guides. A lost opportunity to multicast... 2) Could you petition the FCC to show the radar actually serves an...
If I read this correctly - that ruling was clarified to include options that should make it easier to comply: SOURCE: http://www.wilmerhale.com/publicatio...blication=3525 The new order clarifies the 2004 order's limit on the use of repeat programming for the purpose of satisfying the guidelines for DTV streams. Under the earlier order, at least 50% of core programming could not be repeated during the same week to qualify as core¬ówith two exceptions. The first exception...
I find the explanation interesting regarding DTV and children's programming. But according to the FCC, the requirement is that they must add 3 hours of children's / educational programming to the main stream (12-1) or it can be done on 12-2. If you can feed video of the radar to 12-2, why can't you time shift some Saturday morning programming once a week to meet the requirement? (I can't remember if Comcast carries 12-2...if they don't - the secondary channel won't work...
According to their website - Channel 231 This is a one year deal only...for now. Chattanooga is the only market that made this deal (among the other squabbling Freedom Comm/Comcast cities). Hats off to WTVC for making it happen.
Tonight I noticed that WTCI is apparently broadcasting the same HD concert on all 4 of their sub-channels (Cream Reunion Concert). This is insane because doing this makes the resolution crappy on all 4. The 19300Mbps data rate becomes something like 4825 on each channel. It really looks awful. I'm calling them tomorrow 629-0045
From the comcast.com website: "Basic service subscription is required to receive HDTV and premium HDTV channel requires subscription to underlying premium channel. " So YES, you can connect your coax (split it) to a QAM capable HD Tuner and get WRCB, WDEF, WTCI, ESPN, and sometimes other stuff comes in. When WTVC and Comcast stop fighting - we'll get that too : ) But, premium channels require their box ($5.00 per mo.) or the PVR ($9.95) and the add on fee for that...