or Connect

Posts by sunol

A bit noisy for home theater as well: 35 dB ( LIGHT POWER mode: NORMAL), 29 dB ( LIGHT POWER mode: LOW)
That's a good idea.OP - You didn't mention the projector throw (how far from the screen the projector will be) and the seating distance, but I would look at the calculator here:http://www.projectorcentral.com/Panasonic-PT-AE8000-projection-calculator-pro.htmYou'll generally want your seats to be at least 1.5 times screen size away. So a 120" screen you will want to sit at least 15 feet away.A high gain screen probably isn't needed. Higher gain will be helpful for 3D, but...
Not sure you'll get an answer about your rear projection lcd, but in general somewhere around 50ms lag is the border for acceptability for a casual gamers. Hard core gamers will claim that is still too much. (Epson seems to sell a lot of 8350s because of the ~17ms lag). I play on both my RS1 (~50ms) and on a Asus 'gaming' monitor (~20ms). Frankly, old age makes the difference irrelevant to me. I can't do much of anything in under 50ms. Good thread...
I used dB Meter Pro, Sound Meter+, Decibels and Decibel 10th. They all gave me similar readings.
Thanks for the db reading! I tried a few different apps on my iPhone and iPad, but I don't think it is very accurate. I am getting a 40-50db with the projector on and a 35db rating in the silent room. The house is silent, but I still read 35 db and I know the projector is louder than the 15db delta. It seems like the mic on the 'idevices' isn't very sensitive at the low end. If I had to guess, the rs1 is in the 32db range even in eco mode. Re: the space around the...
My home theater is in a finished attic space. The curved ceiling joists start at about waist level. I cut a shelf in between the joists. One issue is that the shelf size was limited to the spacing of the joists and isn't large enough for some projectors. You can see my RS1 struggling to fit. 8000u should fit ok. I also need to do an hdmi cable run, but it might be easier to use wireless hdmi.
Considering an upgrade from my JVC RS1. Fan noise is a big issue for me because the projector is on a shelf just a couple of feet from my head (can't change due to funky room). I have been putting up with it for years, but it is one of those things that I can't stop noticing now. Projectors I am considering include the RS4810, 5020 and 8000U. The reviews say they are all 'quiet in eco mode' and 'would not be an issue for all but the most sensitive to fan noise'. But,...
Currently have an RS1. Funky room set up requires projector to be on shelf directly behind main viewing position. Lot's of advancements since the RS1, but frankly biggest reason to upgrade is the fan noise. Not that the RS1 is super loud, but it is literally 2 feet above and 2 feet behind my head. I run it in 'eco' mode to keep the noise down even though I would like it a little brighter (120" at 18 ft throw). The noise has gotten to be so distracting that I have been...
Starting to get the home theater upgrade itch again. Part of it would include a new screen and wondering if the new '4k' screens are marketing hype or valuable for use with the new 4k projectors? (Posting here instead of in 'screens' since folks here have 4k projectors.)
OK, I'll bite.. JVC - best 2D image Epson - best 3D image Sony - compromise between the two There was an article here: http://www.avsforum.com/a/projectors-101-avs-favorites Different projector models in the article, but I unless anyone else wants to jump in, the general premise has been the same for a couple of years. I don't think you would be disappointed with any of the projectors you mentioned. For what it's worth, there has been concern, fairly or not, over the...