or Connect

Posts by Bi_Polar

I tested my WHS this morning running 4 concurrent HD streams (MKV files) to 4 different PC's. All play back at the same time perfectly, no stutter. I can't speak to more than that. I have a EX495 - not much difference. I would say that as long as you have a gigabit based LAN (gigabit swich, gigabit connection to your whs and htpc's) you should be fine with no need to upgrade. I havent upgraded the software beyond what was preinstalled on the server other than the latest...
I would agree with you on TV looking better if you are referring to OTA signals, which I personally don't use. As far as comparing the output of the CETON card or the HDHOMERUN Prime to a cable box, I honestly can't tell a difference. It could be I have tweaked a few settings for what I consider near optimal quality. Bluray playback, it's true, not as good as a dedicated player. My BluRay drive in the PC with Power DVD is probably 90-95% as good but there is a slight...
I must say, I think we may finally be approaching the golden age of the HTPC. I have owned/operated an htpc for probably 10 years. There has always been glitches, shortcomings, tweaks that need to be done, fine-tunings here or there, it has always been a work in progress with the rare WAF. And while it may continue to be a work in progress going forward, it won't be out of necessity so much as out of new functionality. I currently operate the following: (and oh yes its...
Anything else other than the X10 option? I actually chatted with their online sales rep last night and was told they no longer sell this and do not have a replacement for it. With that said, you are right, it can be found on other web sites still. Dimming is a plus but not a must-have.
Yes it must. I am under the impression that there are some RF to IR options from some of the afore mentioned manufacturers. I mean Lutron or Leviton sells IR in-wall switches - I would think a similar option exists for plug-in type modules?
Hello all, I recently upgraded to a Harmony One from my old but reliable 880. I have a pretty good understanding of how to set up activities and my system works well. I think some of my limitations come in the form of imagination, which brings me to my post. I recently purchased a new entertainment center which has a total of 6 halogen dimmable recessed lights in the cabinet. They are wired in sets of two (3 plugs behind the cabinet) and they are controlled by a simple...
Correct me if I'm wrong, because I may certainly be but why does one even need XBMC to decode DTS-HD and TrueHD? Can't a passthrough option to your hardware of choice (see below) work fine in conjunction with XBMC as your front end? Actually, a hardware decode would be even better I would think than any software optionI realize some may not want to spring for the hardware but I saw at least one post saying he would wait to build an htpc until XBMC did support it. That...
I have a couple questions with regard to Library vs. File mode. I have set up MCM per the guide, it works well enough. Each of my individual movie folders has a folder.jpg as well as other art within. If I select Library mode in XBMC, certain movies have a jacket that is a blank "reel" whereas in File mode these same movies are using the folder.jpg. I take it that Library mode is looking to a database for art whereas File mode is looking to the individual folder for art....
Holy cow, what a fool! I was up a bit late setting up my AVR as you may be able to tell! Thanks.
So the manual states when you are "Setting the Video Options" by using the Video Parameters button on the remote that "if an option cannot be selected on the VIDEO PARAMETER menu, it is unavailable due to the current source, setting and status of the receiver". I have noticed in my setup that my 3 HDMI inputs (PS3, XBOX 360, and HTPC) - none of them give me the option to change HDMI -> THROUGH. In fact, the HDMI menu does not even show up for each of these inputs. This...