or Connect

Posts by DrHow

My post was long because this is not such a simple problem. However, the primary thrust of my quest is clear from the first paragraph alone. You would not necessarily need to read more to be able to help me. My purpose with the second paragraph was primarily to indicate what I mean by "good fast-forward performance". To do that, I figured I needed to describe how I use it, as few people behave in the manner I do. For those who might have been willing to read it, I...
That's right. However, I was not expecting to be satisfied with my present hardware. My purpose here was to learn about what sort of graphics processor I need to get in order to be able to get good fast-forward performance. I am hoping it can be an upgrade to a computer I already have; but probably not to the one I am using for my desktop. No specific suggestion has been made. The closest is the description by user4avsform of his system; but that would be a complete...
I am very disappointed by the lack of response I have received on my issue here. Could someone please suggest another forum in which there is a better chance of finding someone who can point me in the right direction? Thanks.
My primary FF requirement is for MPEG streams recorded OTA. I believe that is easier. I would probably be willing to settle for lower performance on downloaded H.264; but I would still seek better capability than I have now.
I have two ATSC tuners (one USB and one PCI) which I can use to record MPEG streams off the air. I can play these files with a large number of movie players I have tried. However, in no case can I get good performance for fast-forward. I believe this is probably due to limitations in my hardware. One rarely sees specs about fast-forward, and I am hoping there are some folks on this forum who know about the issues and can advise me about what sort of hardware upgrade I...
The capabilities of media playback devices with respect to high speed cuing are rarely mentioned in any detail. Yet, to me, they are important, as I do a lot of fast-forwarding when watching certain types of sports events (which I do a lot of). In attempting to figure out what the BDP-80 supports in this regard, I downloaded the manual and took a look at that. It shows a cycle of what it calls speeds which goes 1->2->3->4->5->... . If those numbers correspond to a...
Can someone provide an explanation for the strange behavior I am about to describe? The 'problem' is not severe. This is primarily of academic interest to me; but I am completely baffled by something that happens with local commercials which TW Austin is inserting into the data streams for some HD feeds (ESPN in particular). Lately the locally inserted commercials appear to be 480i upconverted to 720p (most of the time). Indeed, if you are watching in Pass-Through...
Quote: Originally posted by FarmBubba The size TV make great difference. And, unless the set just has inferior resolution for its screen size, how far you sit from it makes an equally great difference - with the result that the TV size issue remains a red herring. As it happens, my set is an HDTV and we are talking about the appearance of recorded analog SD television. There is little chance that my set is poor enough to disguise SD compression...
Originally posted by FarmBubba: How big is your TV? How could that be relevant? It is big enough for me to see compression artifacts that I do not like. When you get a DVD recorder (or stand alone tivo or replay), you can change the bitrate to change the qualiy. I know that. Clearly, in this context, I would only be interested in the highest quality. If you buy a stand alone Tivo or Replay to record the analog channels, which would work great since it...
The cable box cannot tell what sort of device is at the other end from its composite and S-video outputs. I don't know what you could be worrying about. When you have started the "Copy to VCR" operation, regular NTSC video goes on the composite and S-video connectors. (No S-video if your box is in SDTV mode.) In a sense, the "Copy to VCR" function is misnamed. It is really "Copy to composite and S-video outputs". The chosen name corresponds only to the most common...