or Connect

Posts by billbillw

Didn't see a thread for the H93 models, so I'm asking here. I have a 51H93. Anyone experience red noise in dark areas of HD broadcast over the DVI connection? I have had two different STBs (one comcast HD/DVR and RCA DTC210) and both exhibit this behavoir. Very distracting during dark scenes.
Quote: Originally posted by kin@tvauthority billbillw, Good idea using the adapter to save some money. Do you think that introducing an additional connection is really good for longevity? I would think that the more connections between the source and display, the more chance for corrosion of connections, and signal loss. And yes, I agree $120 for a cable is a little much, but it is the best :) By longevity, I meant that he would be more flexible...
Unfortunately, those cables are notoriously overpriced. $120 for a single cable is too much IMHO. HDMI/DVI is usually slightly better than component because its pure digital. One less digital analog conversion. It is of course much better than s-video becuase S-video doesn't pass HD. If you have HDMI-HDMI, it will also pass the 5.1 digital audio, but that won't help you because you are going from DVI to HDMI. You will need a separate digital audio (either optical or...
It depends also on what kind of shape the antenna is in. You mentioned that it didn't look like it was in good shape. As long as the connections between the feed lines and the elements are still good and the elements aren't bent up, there should be no reason the antenna shouldn't work as orignally designed. One caveat: You don't know if the antenna was actually good enough to get the analog signals in your area. If it was, it should be good enough to get the digital...
Quote: Originally posted by Veander I looked back on the thread, but couldn't gather whether or not this filter addresses the horizontal/invisible line. I fit does, I'll do it in a heartbeat. I don't see how the balun filter could fix the H-line problem. I get the problem with OTA and satellite channels that are in 1080i. Since it is present on the DVI, Component, S-video, and composite output, its hard to imagine that its TV specific either. The...
I would consider using the CM 7777 preamp instead of the 7775. The 7777 is VHF/UHF preamp, 7775 is UHF only. Are there any VHF frequencies that you need to receive? Also consider rumors that many of the networks will switch their DT broadcast over to their existing analog (possibly VHF) frequencies when they go totally DT.
There are only a few Direct TV HD receivers out. From what I've read, none of them decode QAM HD signal. That would not be beneficial for D* if they did. The D*HD receivers do include ATSC and NTSC tuners though.
When you go to antennaweb, make sure you select "show digital channels only". That way you are only looking at the channels you really are trying to get with the HD tuner. If it is violet, that means (according to CEA) that you need a LARGE directional antenna mounted on the roof with an amplifier (ie: preamp). I would definetly not diplex the line.
I would avoid diplexing if possible. If you diplex, you won't be able to add a preamp to the antenna or use an amplified antenna. By mounting it in the attic, its possible that you will need extra gain. If you are going from your attic to the basement with the OTA antenna line, you might be able to find a vent pipe or gas line that has enough clearance to fish the cable right down through to your basement.
Most of the newer receivers can be found for $200+ on Ebay. Some of the older ones may be cheaper. You don't have to have them activated, but I've heard that you need to have an access card installed to do a channel scan. I've also heard of some strictly OTA (not D*) HD receivers going for much cheaper on Ebay if you just want to try that route; otherwise, it is probably cheaper in the long run to go ahead and upgrade your whole setup. You will get a pretty good credit on...