or Connect

Posts by djb61230

I'd recommend getting the HDTC that can do mpeg 4 encoding in hardware. They are pricier but I have two of them and they work as well as the old original HDHRs for over the air. Save some disk space and have files that can play on tablets and modern set top boxes. Of course check first if it's supported by the software you are using - I run my own stuff so I'm not aware of the state of hardware support with projects like mythtv. The HDTC has been out for a few months...
Sorry never mind.
MakeMKV merely wraps the video stream in an mkv container. It does no encoding, as opposed to something like HandBrake. More likely the issue is with your video player not being able to handle the bitrate of the original video. When you "ran it through HandBrake" you re-encoded the video, most likely lowered the bitrate so your player could play it. So you really are not watching the same quality video now.But if you like it, that is all that matters!
I hear ya cashonly. Same thing here - I mean even having the rest of the family changing inputs makes it more complicated than what would be ideal. And to get things the closest to ideal is hard to find in an off the shelf solution. I mean even being a developer and writing my own software, you still are dependent on third party software because one person cannot physically write that much code - or be expert enough in so many different technologies to write something...
Ahh I see. Thanks antisuck.
I'm confused by "not watch on PC's or devices". Somehow you expect your TVs to have this capability? I guess if they are all DLNA capable then maybe. I don't see DLNA allowing you to control some sort of DVR though. So I would think you need some sort of device at each TV. And "D" above won't happen anytime soon - the closest thing is you keep your cable subscription and stream it locally. But I'd guess you don't want to do that. There is a new DVR coming out called...
Hey - so it looks like you basically got it to work with VLC which is very cool. Did you get it to work over the network? It should work as long as you use the right IP and port. Let's say the HD-PVR machine is IP 192.168.1.5 and the client machine is 192.168.1.10 java -jar teststreamjob.jar -i /dev/video0 -h 192.168.1.10 -p 8080 -s 60 Then vlc on the other machine: vlc udp://@192.168.1.10:8080 I think thats what you want. To test that the port is open you could...
After seeing some of the posts above, you could probably use VLC on both ends. I wrote jflicks in Java, well because I've been doing Java all day like for 15 years so I can get things done pretty quick. Plus I like it. The code is not complicated but a bit much to post here.The direcTV boxes, if they are fairly modern, come with ethernet ports. If you plug them into your network, you can access a web service on them to be able to do things like change the channel. ...
I have been working on a pet project the last few years called jflicks media system and I do this all the time. VLC is the best player to use for this task as you can just fire it up to listen for UDP packets on an IP and port. Then on the HD-PVR server side I simply read from the device and write UDP packets which of course VLC reads and displays video. I have DirecTV boxes, a roku and an Apple TV connected to HD-PVRs which can be viewed on any of our TVs. Really I...
That works fine on Linux. I gave one to a co-worker and he has had no issues with it. Just uses the digital tuner as you say.