or Connect

Posts by jpurkey

Does the Philips (or other in-production brands) recorder let you do fast playback with audio? My current DVD recorder (a Panasonic E75V VCR/DVDrec, no hard drive), is starting to fail and eventually I'll need to get a replacement. I'd like to get a recorder with hard drive and fast playback (at least 1.33x) is a must for me. The lack of fast playback is one reason I don't want to get a DVR. The other reasons are lack of editing and of course the price, which is $12 a...
Does the DVD media make a difference? If the show is marked "record once", rather than "record never" he may still be able to record to the DVD recorder's hard drive (if it has one) or to rewriteable media such as DVD-RAM or DVD-RW, just not DVD-R. Though recordings of such programs made to the hard drive, probably can't be re-copied to DVD. I will have to do some checking with my DVD recorder. I'm supposed to be able to record programs marked "record once" to DVD-RAM, but...
Is it the same news as the 1/2 hour BBC World News that airs on PBS stations at various times during the day? I don't regularly watch it now (just when there is major international news happening) but if it were 24/7 I'd might tune in more often. Maybe this will mean that other channels, like NASA TV, will be added too.
Are you losing power, maybe even briefly? I have FiOS and the Motorloa STB will default to heavy audio compression with even the briefest of power interruptions. Others have reported the same thing so it isn't a faulty box. It seems to be the one and only setting that isn't preserved. Luckily for me the power is pretty stable here. But if you have any power fluctuations that might be the problem.
If you subscribe to any premium services like HBO, Starz, etc. OnDemand is nice to have. Most of the movies I've watched on Starz have been OnDemand. - I can watch movies when I want without recording first. Stop and resume later. - Movies are shown without the logo and there are no banners and/or overtalk during the closing credits. - And even with SD, many movies are shown in widescreen format OR you have a choice between the widescreen or fullscreen version. TMC...
I read half this thread before realizing it was from 18 months ago. I have no interest in HD picture quality because of my vision. But a channel that showed sci-fi movies and programs unedited (as someone up-topic mentioned) would be something that I'd likely subscribe to if the price was right and I could get it without subscribing to a bunch of other unwanted HD channels. The fact that the movies would be widescreen would be an additional plus. I hate watching movies...
Comedy: I Love Lucy Sci-Fi: The Twilight Zone (original)
Quote: Originally Posted by epsilon The single most annoying experience in watching this were the mini-previews of the next segment before commercial breaks. I had to scramble for the remote to skip them. I hope this is not a sign of things to come. They did get briefer towards the end. At least there was time to grab the remote and hit FFwd. I enjoyed The Lost Room overall. Much better than most Sci-Fi channel movies.
Quote: Originally Posted by kenglish Since audio doesn't have "almost identical" frames, it is compressed differently, taking in to account certain pscho-acoustical "quirks" of human hearing. But, it too takes some amount of processing time. True. Though the DirecTV receiver I had (RCA) waited until it could start properly displaying the video beofre playing the audio. Other digital receivers I've seen (DirecTV and FiOS) start playing the auido...
Even a perfect cable won't do anything about the motion artifacts on DirecTV. But the amount of artifacts will vary depending on the channel. PPV and premium movie channels have the least. And certain sports and local channels probably have the most. And I'd imagine that the amount on locals will vary from city to city depending on how many markets/channels are on the spot beam transponder being used. I have FiOS now and the picture is much better. The first time I...