or Connect

Posts by tcs2tx

I did something very similar for the entertainment center in my basement. I used Akurum cabinets from IKEA and cut them down to remove the portion for the typical top drawer. On top, I placed a stained butcher block counter top. For the side panels and cabinet fronts, I used high gloss white and gray panels. It ended up being less expensive and much more sturdy than typical HTPC furniture.
Here is a better and simpler way if your shows are not encrypted: 1) on your machine with the WTV recordings, share the folder with the WTV recordings 2) on the the machine(s) that you want to play the WTV recordings from other machine(s), in MCE or WMP, add the shared folder with WTV files to your media library After doing 1 and 2, the WTV files will be populated in Recorded TV along with WTV files recorded directly on the same machine. I use this method to have 4 MCE...
@rekd0514 The issue with your crashes may be an issue with permissions - in other words, the user on the client does not have proper access to the share. As I mentioned, in my case the default account for the service is unable to write to my network share. To fix the problem, I created a user on my server with the name "record" and the password "record" and gave the user read/write access to the share and underlying file system. On the client, I create the user...
There are NUMEROUS ways to set this up, but here is one possibility HTPC - HDMI output --> HDMI input on AVR (e.g., TV input) AVR - HDMI output --> HDMI input on TV (e.g., HDMI 1) AVR - L/R/C/SL/SR --> each speaker input AVR - LFE output --> subwoofer LFE input To play content from your HTPC and hear on speakers and see on TV, TV - set input to HDMI 1 AVR - set to TV HTPC - set audio output as HDMI One caveat is the choice for speaker output on the HTPC. For me, I...
There are at least a couple of ways that you can record to a networked drive:1) Registry hack that allow direct recording - it's been a while since I have used this method, so I can't point to specific sources for the necessary hacks. If you find those resources with my best friend Google, you will find people (and I'm sure people here may also chime in) that it can be flaky, but I never had a problem. The only reason that I moved away from this method a while back is...
One thing that was mentioned above is something to consider.I've done something similar to give hard drive space for an SSD-based WMC client. At the time, the client only had a 32GB SSD, which would often fill as I was watching live TV and was also unable to record/pause TV. Using the server as an iSCSI target, I was able to give my client an iSCSI based hard drive (e.g., 100GB) and set as the recording storage in WMC.
I bit the bullet a few years ago on a server grade motherboard (SuperMicro), CPU (Xeon) and RAM (ECC). You certainly pay a premium for "new" server equipment, but my system is still running strong and reliably with no need to upgrade. I would have actually saved money if I had bought the components from the beginning instead of spending much more over my first years in this hobby when I was continually upgrading the components. One approach to minimize cost is to check...
Once you start messing with virtualization, you will never go back. From a pure geek factor, it is way off the charts. From a practical perspective, there are a couple of fantastic features that are game changers (or, at least for me):1) With ESXi, you can "snapshot" your individual virtual machines. So, you don't like an update/tweak/install/upgrade you just performed on your machine? Literally, in a matter of seconds, you can rollback to a previous snapshot of the...
To be clear, you would run WHS2011 on ESXi, not ESXi on WHS2011. ESXi is installed first on vt-x or vt-d capable hardware (motherboard and CPU determine). Once ESXi is installed, individual virtual machines are created (e.g., WHS2011, pfsense, etc.).I run WHS2011 as a virtual machine purely for its backup of my Win-based clients.
Assuming you can install ESXi, run pfsense as a software based router. You can also add Untangle for content management/filters. Basically, one LAN is an input from your internet provider and the other an output to your switch. On my ESXi server, I have pfsense and Untangle running in two separate VMs. I got the idea from posters in this forum.