or Connect

Posts by jmpage2

August? Ack, bummer. Maybe cave in and get 2013 model if I decide to jump ship.
Interesting. I actually found a repair youtube video for a similar problem with the onkyo 606 that walks the owner through replacement of a series of capacitors on the HDMI board. In that case the problem is the HDMI input not coming up for a few minutes after system start. So, similar but different problem to what some of us are experiencing with 818.
One more cause of this could be something like a cold solder joint. When the device is cold it is not working, after it warms up it starts to work.
I myself am also skeptical. One possible explanation is that there are patents involved that Onkyo does not want to have to pay for, so they have come up with another sound correction technique that tries to do this w/out the fronts. In any event, from the experience at my own company they usually get fairly intelligent people like physics PHD to do this sort of stuff, but that doesn't mean that the egghead knows squat about what audio is supposed to sound like when the...
I'm sure it's at least in the ballpark or they will get completely toasted in reviews. However, AVS isn't for people who are happy with being "in the ballpark" if they can avoid it for little added cost (going with a competitor product that's better).
Wow. That's pretty lame. The corrections on my L/R speakers is pretty big with XT32.
I have gotten over that, and have been happy with my 818, but now it has started to fail. I have to decide if I'm willing to live w/out it for an extended period of time while it gets repaired or if I should just cut my losses, replace it with something else, and then sell it after repair. My wife won't like option 'b' but that's the direction I am leaning in.
I wouldn't be afraid, I would just vote with your wallet. Buy something that does have Audyssey as it is a proven technology worth spending a few extra bucks on. Do you really think that someone from Onkyo will be on here answering questions about how to tune their room correction or get the most out of it? Audyssey does that and there is a very rich thread with tons of details that you won't get from Onkyo... that alone should convince you to vote with your wallet and...
Onkyo can definitely do room correctly and they can definitely compare their room correction to that of others and see how "close" they are.... how close they got will be validated by people who can compare multiple AVRs which is no easy thing. It also might have been deemed by Onkyo to be "good enough" to ship when they in fact know it is not as good as Audyssey.
The why would be easy.They pay Audyssey $$ per every AVR sold. Doing it in house saves them a ton of cash. The real question is how good is what Onkyo has come up with compared to the "real" thing.