or Connect

Posts by cinemascope

The reports from the field still indicate that Crestron DM is still the gold standard, although even the most well executed DM installs still require some fine tuning to iron out issues. Since this appears to be one of the best discussions of HDMI matrices on this site, I wanted to make you aware of two more for your list. Zektor now has an 8x8. I have notified Jeff at Zektor that this thread exists so that he can add info on their units. I know of a few of these that...
I like to use Liberty's UltraCap 14/4 conductor or Canare's StarQuad. four 14 awg cables used doubled-up gives you two 11 awg conductors.
Sorry Mark, That is a seriously incomplete list. It's missing Ra, Ra2, HomeWorks RF, WattStopper Miro (aka Vantage Enspire), Schneider's Clipsal C-bus system, Leviton ViziaRF (which is Z-wave), LiteTouch RF, Centralite JetStream (which is Zigbee), Control4 (Zigbee), Crestron (Zigbee).
A lot of designers who are attempting to integrate a ceiling fan into a lighting control system will install a switch in line with the manual wall box speed control. You don't get automated control or remotely operated control of the speed function, but you do get the on/off function and the fans return to their last speed. Remember, never put a dimmer on a fan. It creates arcing that will constantly trip the new arc-fault beakers that are now required by NEC...
Even the undisputed leaders from today who were around 20 years ago (Crestron, AMX, Elan, Lutron) would require a complete rip and replace to be bought to today's standards. Anyone who tells you with absolute certainty that an integrated home automation and multi-zone a/v system that is installed today will still be 100% functional as the backbone of a state-of-the-art system in 2031 is a sleazeball trying to appease your concerns to get a check, or just completely...
As far as the smell, there is a certification called 'Greenguard' that you should be looking for. Greenguard Certified means that all elements of the screen materials have been verified to be low-VOC. The paint, carpeting, upholstery are all closely scrutinized by their vendors to avoid creating toxic air quality in your home. You should pay attention to your screen as well. Like fresh carpeting or fresh paint, screen materials are notorious for the chemical smell...
A dealer friend just told me that the former distributor has a clearance on the Screen Reseach and Screen Excellence screen material and they will sell to end users on the clearance items. s t john group dot com (all together) FYI.
Jim, Please clarify the source of the quoted text in the article on your site.
Tony, I didn't mean to ignore you, but I noticed that you have also asked in the Triad thread in the speaker section. There are undoubtedly going to be subs that deliver more boom for your room, but I have always been impressed by how 'tight' the Triad subs are. (I hate using meaninless adjectives) They are the most well-built cabs I have seen from anyone at any price point. Triad uses only t-nuts and machine screws for the drivers and amps (when they are in the...
SAE! Nice. One of the designers who created a lot of SAE's amps also designed amps for Sumo, and later designed some bulletproof whole-house amps for Sonance. I have been passionate about hi-fi for 20+ years, and worked in retail at a high end store from 90-99 where we sold Audio Research, Atma-Sphere, Counterpoint, and Golden Tube. I have owned a lot of hi-fi gear, but I have never owned tubes at home. I can definitely say that there is a certain romanticized element...