or Connect

Posts by DonoMan

How long have you had it and did you notice the problem from day 1? Or did you not get the DirecTV stuff 'til later? It seems that this problem is not entirely unknown for your receiver. People are reporting it for other gear as well, including both with DirecTV and with other satellite services. https://www.google.com/search?q=denon+1802+dolby+digital+glitch You can try a processor reset, and if your receiver has any options that you can change about the DD settings,...
4311... Or maybe a 3312 and save the extra money (though the 4311 is just that extra bit better)
2000s, IMO. While I love the more traditional underhung topology, I am a huge fan of Adire Audio's XBL^2 technology. And I think Scan Speak is making the best drivers it ever has. I dream of buying SS Illuminator stuff.. which is underhung, in fact. Great BL curve on those. I've also found my favorite tweeter yet being from the 2000s - the Vifa XT19. And I would like to hear the new CSS XBL^2 tweeter too. Edit to note: My signature is more about electronics than speakers,...
Yeah, sensitivity is almost always a tradeoff with bass performance, per Hoffman's Iron Law. Heavier cones will actually move the response towards the bass region, but will also lower sensitivity. A stronger motor coupled with a cone that can stand up to the extra force (as compared to a weaker motor) will help with distortion but the stronger motor moves the response up and away from bass. And also there's a tradeoff with enclosure size (which is another part of Hoffman's...
I didn't say there was a "need," but I do believe that it would be a better option though more of a pain to implement. With just a voltage divider, the output voltage will depend on the input resistance of the amplifier (which would be in parallel with one of the resistors, and would constrain the values of resistor you could use as well). It's not the end of the world but it's not a good thing either. It can be done passively, just that it's not a great solution if you...
I'd say it's probably fine as long as the solder joints are still good and the capacitor is not damaged under the PCB (be very careful and verify the capacitors aren't charged if you want to unscrew the PCB to check that - probably a good idea if you're comfortable doing so). You could try cleaning some of the crap with isopropyl (preferably denatured, but at the very least, 90%+) or acetone. Looks like there is flux on those PCBs that was never cleaned off... What kind...
A4L as linked in the post above is also what I would suggest. MultEQ XT is the best auto calibration tool you can get without spending several times the amount of money that the 1712 costs. You set up a microphone (there are guidelines to how to do so) and run a routine within the AVR which will test the acoustics of your speakers/room and try to solve some of the issues (there are ALWAYS issues caused by, at the very least, reflections in the room) and give you better...
Better to use an op amp so that the circuit is load-independent, if you ask me. Though it doesn't HAVE to be done that way. Could also use a line out converter meant for a car, though most of them require a 12v input (some are passive and do not, but they are less good).
A huge increase in SQ, huh? Well, that's positively wrong, but enjoy your zero-to-slight quality increase. Not trying to be a douche, but greatly exaggerating your claims like this doesn't really help the community. Not knocking your purchase though as I like Parasound just as much as the next guy here... Anyway, enjoy...
You can use the 70w, and yes, the correct gain will be fine, but gain does not work like that. The gain knob controls the amplification relative to the input signal level, not the "maximum power" that it can put out. So you'd need to figure out where the gain would need to be. That Def Tech sub should be very good for