or Connect

Posts by babgvant

IMO, the current state - where it is possible to update FW in the field - is better. Yes, it can encourage a ship-now-fix-later mentality, but those older AVRs also shipped with bugs (although given the lower complexity, probably fewer (less code = less bugs )). We just had to live with it, or ship the AVR to a servicing center if the issue was severe enough for the OEM to care. At least now we have the ability to request change, and apply that change w/o incurring any...
Overscan is controlled (usually per input) on the TV and by the PC. If you disable it on both sides it will work the way you want. Introducing the AVR into the mix should have no affect on it either way.
Why are you using reclock's ac3 encoder? That's intended as a way to get multi-channel off the PC when using S/PDIF. With HDMI you don't need to do that (and take the loss in quality).
1) Just because you don't notice issues, doesn't mean they aren't there2) 1, 2, 6, & 7 are pretty much universal. They might not bother you, but they are quite real (i.e. the HD300 has lights, they are on, are bright and blink). Goto #13) You might want to look up what "accurate" means. Your (pl) personal experience has nothing to do with it. The only way they could not be accurate is if I was making stuff up.With that in mind, please explain what is "not necessarily...
They fixed the worst of the DI stuff very quickly (IIRC cadence detection was not however). The more general VP issues (which except for chroma/bit depth upscalling don't matter that much to native output users) were intrinsic to the SoC (or it's drivers), so they weren't fixed. Everything else on the list is still outstanding (but arguably minor).TBC, my experience with SageTV was very positive. Their people were responsive and helpful. My goal here isn't to gripe about...
So? We all know the Echo is flawed (ALL OF US). The Echo's merits (or lack thereof) aren't relevant to this tangent.A statement was made about the HD300 which was not accurate.I pointed out that it was inaccurate.You asked for clarification.Clarification was provided.Your shared experience isn't required (didn't we already hash that out in this thread?).If the point was that the HD300 was a better extender than the Echo in the right context. I can agree with that.If the...
Off the top of my head:1) DI was a hot mess when I first got the HD300 (TBF, it got better), and IIRC it received one of the lowest HQV-HD scores I've ever given.2) Pictures would often display w/ the wrong colors3) When the screen saver activated the device flashed image-white-image-white-image-white frames in a seizure inducing manner4) Occasional lockups5) My unit's built-in IR stopped working (not really a problem because I used the IR extender)6) I had to tape over...
Yes, I have and this isn't a completely accurate statement. While the HD300 has a native mode, it's not 100% native (it up samples bit depth). Outside of native mode the SOC's VP capabilities are pretty basic.TBC, the HD300 experience is superior to the Echo in a lot of ways, but it was not perfect. There were several issues, some of them quite annoying.There are several Sigma Designs SOCs that were faster and more capable (e.g. HDMI 1.4), but AFAIK the chips that...
Absolutely .
Should be, yes.I'm surprised by that a little. BD playback in commercial players should have minimal hit on the CPU unless HWA decoding is disabled.