or Connect

Posts by jtnfoley

NEC Setup remotes are tough to clone to universal remotes, IIRC, because the setup remote has a 'shift' key that is extensively used during the setup procedure. I have a setup remote you can borrow until you can source one. Curts' site has PC control software and a cable pinout. Heck, I may even still have my NEC cable for the software if you want to run it on a laptop or convenient desktop: http://www.curtpalme.com/NECPG_PCControl.shtm
Well, I found a 42 in for him, ostensibly working. It's out of my hands now: My recommendation was to get the 42 if the box is the same and keep the panel as a spare if his panel ever dies off. All that my googling (for the MRU by P/N etc) turned up were threads in all the boards that followed the same general form (paraphrasing) : "My MRU was and Sony has abandoned me." Threads like that go back to 2006 or 2007. Thanks for the response. I'll reply back here...
Friend-of-a-friend needs a replacement mbd-xbr950 "Media Receiver Unit" to drive his kde50xbr950 plasma. Apparently the box is NLA from Sony and a repair depot wants $800 to repair it. I'm trolling CL and eBay of course, looking for the unit by its' model name, part number, and service part number, but am striking out. Next I'll try searching for a working or DOA plasma by searching out the compatible display part numbers... That said, it looks like this guy is...
I'm looking for something like Geffens' EXT-AVSCALER-PRO for a professional conference room application (http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5898) that has VGA or DVI-A out as well as in. Sources are PC (DVI or VGA) as well as SD-DVD and VHS (I know, I know... OSHA and the local fire department are WAY behind the times on their training tapes! ) I'm tempted to go down the path of Crestron or Extron, but I know my bosses would never go for it. Of course, being...
One last comment before I step out of this thread, for the interest of our environmentally-conscious friends: A Kill-A-Watt meter reveals usage of about 110 watts combined for the WD-TV and Sceptre 320BV-ECO (backlight set to 90% down from the factory setting of 100%.) For testing the rig was running over half an hour before measurement. FWIW, and I don't know that it matters much on LCD, the content was a 100% coverage JPEG (converted powerpoint as described above) with...
I can report on the cheapie WD-TV HDMI player as being a success for the $50 price point if you're not asking too much from it. It has only two transition modes, fade and "normal." It'll loop till the cows come home, has folder browsing for pictures (handy for multiple presentations or revisions) and more scale/stretch modes than the internal JPEG viewer on the Sceptre. It's also got a very user-friendly UI, and has a remote capable of play/pause/skip forward/skip...
Wow... busy forum! 16:57EST yesterday and already on page 3. Bumpitty bump bump. Anyone out there using an LCD-TV as a large photo frame successfully?
I have precisely the same requirement (in a light industrial / lobby board / employee info kiosk context) and am chasing precisely the same size (32") I can tell you one USB and picture-enabled display that WON'T do the job! I just took delivery of a Sceptre X320-ECO which has USB and will be returning it tomorrow. It certainly does display JPEGs but has one glaring limitation... It does not loop! The user interface is basic but attractive, and it has remote-control...
Pure speculation: The format may be free but the implementation may not be... For example, if they are using a commercial RTOS (real-time operating system) or embedded operating system, they may be unwilling to pay the licensing fee from their software vendor. If they are rolling their own (Linux, for example) OS then they may be unwilling to invest the development and debug time, and using 'licensing' as an excuse.
Are you seing the single-disk limit (i.e. is your bottleneck the IDE controller?) RAID is not just for redundency! One relatively simple thing you can do is drop your data disk on a separate controller. This MAY help, you'll be better served to upgrade to a SATA capable host and disk.