or Connect

Posts by gmwedding

I've never understood something about my EyeTV and HDHomeRun combo. My HD HomeRun has two tuners (both of which are connected to an OTA antenna in the attic) and it also is connected to my CAT 5e/6 and Airport WiFi/Ethernet network. I've purchased separate EyeTV serial numbers for three Macs here in the house, and of course, EyeTV can be accessed from various iPads and iPhones too. But only one Mac or iOS device can access a single EyeTV tuner at any one time. When I...
Until yesterday, I've been a satisfied Pioneer customer for 30 years. After much angst, I'm now a confused and potentially unsatisfied customer mired in this 2012 receiver discussion. I just picked up a VSX-1122 to use with a Pioneer Plasma attached to a DirecTV receiver, AppleTV and external speakers in the master bedroom and a second set of speakers in the master bath. I wanted to test this setup and the iControlAV 2012 App before committing to a new SC-65 or SC-67...
The Wall Street Journal, and other news outlets, have reported that Sharp is supplying LCD panels to Apple for the next iPad and iPhone models as well as the next iteration of AppleTV. If true, I would expect that a close analysis of Sharp's newest HDTVs could provide insight into Apple's HDTV plans. Can anyone offer any insight into why Apple might have selected Sharp technology for their foray into HDTV (assuming the reports are true)? What is different about...
The Mac mini does come with a HDTV profile (HD-709-A) that can be selected and used. This RGB profile appears to be calibrated for a 1.96x target gamma but a quick look didn't reveal what the native or target white points are set to (I'd guess it's probably a relatively neutral, 6500° Kelvin). However, remember, the HD-709-A file really is a generic display profile, not a profile for the computer. In my quick look at the profile info tonight, I couldn't even determine if...
In my view, forget the Harmony or other cheap remotes. I have one (the 660, as I recall), never really use it, and wish I hadn't bought it. Instead, just save your money and program the bundled satellite and A/V receiver learning remotes to control the related components to get you started. After much angst programing trying to use and like the Harmony, this is what I did. I even programmed my Pioneer A/V Receiver remote to control the sat receiver and some of the...
I second the OWC Mercury Elite AL single or dual drive enclosures. They even have a nice Qx line with 4 drive bays for use as a hardware RAID with an eSATA card, though the mini doesn't have an eSATA port, only Firewire and USB. A case with a Firewire 800 port will deliver the best performance with the mini (rather than USB). Do get a 7200rpm drive with a 32MB cache, though I think some models now be available with a 64MB cache. Drives marked with an *Energy label are...
I'm considering one these Kenwood receivers (maybe even one without the Nav unit) for use with an iPhone 4 in a Ford Explorer with a JBL Premium sound system. I've seen and heard a couple of the Kenwoods and they sound great, even with factory speakers and amps. However, the Kenwood touchscreen interface is pretty awful compared to Apple's elegant and intuitive iPhone interface. Every time I test one, I actually get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach because the...
This is a vexing problem with my darn 2010 Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH A/V receiver too — it only feeds analog audio to Zone 2 speakers on the patio...
Did anyone actually watch Apple's live, 720p HD stream of today's iPod event? I did — on a 2010 Mac mini (2.4Ghz/8GB/320GB;5400RPM) over Ethernet and a Comcast connection with about 5400Mbps of bandwidth. The Mac mini is connected to a Panasonic 1080p, 58-inch plasma set to 1280x720p resolution for a 10-foot viewing distance. It has been reported that this streamcast also doubled as an initial test of Apple's new streaming video rental technology from the new North...
At $5,995, the iPad chair certainly qualifies as one ultimate Apple accessory (iPad not included)! http://www.elitehometheaterseating.com/ipad-chair.html This Web site's product text also mentions downloadable iPad remote control Apps from Creston and Home Logic including this tidbit: "...with the Crestron Mobile Pro G app made specifically for the iPad, your personal fortress can be controlled by simply tapping the screen to select movies, view various security...