or Connect

Posts by hammie34

Ok got my player and it powered up yeah. connected to the internet and low and behold it found the firmware update. Updated the firmware over the ethnet connection, needed to do this twice. It updated to the latest firmware. Restarted the player and selected english in the language menu. So far so good. Put in Predator bluray and disc incompatible. Ejected the disc reviewed the menu settings rechecked the firmware update says it is up to date. Put in Commando blu-ray and...
Thanks for all the help. Will definitely update the firmware once I get it. I don't have a user manual but I am sure there is a pdf on the Samsung website. Plenty of humor in this thread. I will let you know how I make out once I get it rolling. "The survivors of the Blu-ray HD-DVD early adoption called the war Judgment Day. They lived only to face a new nightmare: the war against the machines."
Well it was described as working fine and there is 14 day return policy on it so it should at least play something. Seems that there is an issue on many of the older players period. Kind of funny since my now ancient HD-A1 HD-DVD player plays any of my HD-DVD discs with out issue and of course DVDs. Seems like the only safe bet is the PS3. Keeping my fingers crossed though. At worst can use it as another DVD player, return it (if it craps out), or resell it.
Ok so I found this thread just after I bought a BD-P1400 used for 55$. Maybe should have looked for this thread sooner. Maybe I will get lucky? Is it really this bad?
Yeah there is a difference but my screen is over a 100" so it maybe more noticeable depending on your setup. The whole point is that while the blu-ray is superior both in sound and picture the streamed movies can be quite good. Its all about getting good quality out of all your options. I actually have Serenity on HD-DVD so I certainly noticed difference comparing the two back and forth (sharper, more detail, discrete surround sound) but the 720p was very good. As for the...
Watched Serenity last night off the HD list and the quality was very good. No issues with buffering, so if they keep pushing that level of quality for HD streaming then all is good. All they need to do is add 2 or 3 good titles a week in HD and we are in business. Lots of the Universal stuff that was done in VC-1 should make its way over from the HD-DVD library. Well thats what I would like to see at least.
We should probably start a thread of SD and HD movies that don't suck on the encode or at least under good network conditions delivered the goods. I will add The Thing, Lord of the Rings RTOK extended (SD only), The Mount Everest movie (cant remember the title) that come to mind Cashback for sure. Blade Runner was not good and Road Warrior, Alien and Aliens was ugh 4:3. When I see Starz play I know I am in for poorer quality in general which is unfortunate considering the...
This is really cool. I know that compression gets better all the time. I am wondering if there is any work on improving packet delivery and network latency like we do at work for moving data over the network. I know that we have had success reducing the pipes (ie cost) and putting in a one time network acclerator solution (like Steelhead appliances) and actually got better performance with smaller pipes. Building some of these technologies into the Roku or Xbox360 etc....
Of course its not as good as BR never was probably never will be but... Its very convienent and sometimes the quality is very good. With the Netflix for my Xbox I didn't have to pay anything. In fact I scaled back my service to the 8.99 plan. My kids love it and we constantly stream all kinds of movies (they are especially found of the 80's teen movies like Better Off Dead). Quality can be all over the board and they don't seem to mind (bugs me more but I am AV dork) and...
The Starz offerings are terrible. A lot of them are 4:3 with crude transfers. The TV shows in HD have been quite good though for some reason.