or Connect

Posts by briancl

Sorry if my post was too long or I wasn't clear enough with my question.. basically, what hardware and software combo work best together so that just about anyone can rely on it. This is for playing full Bluray rips and home videos.
So I have a need for a dedicated HTPC that will power a home theater room. This setup must be dead easy to use for a whole host of people: wife, house guests, baby sitters, etc. Currently I have an old Mac Mini running Plex which I manage manually on my own because no one else can get it to work reliably. All of the usual gremlins: sound randomly stops working after sitting idle for a few days, subtitles rarely are set correctly and are challenging to switch on or off,...
Any thoughts? This is supposed to be a gift for my MIL, so I need to figure something out soon.
I have a Bose soundbar that is controlled by an RF remote. Does anyone know how I enable IR mode so I can use a universal remote? If I can't enable IR, what universal remotes can I use that use RF to control the soundbar as well as a Samsung TV and BD player? It's a fairly simple setup, but the RF Bose Remote is throwing everything off.
Any ideas? This is supposed to be a Christmas gift for my MIL, so uh.. I could really appreciate the help
Hi, I have a Bose soundbar that is controlled by an RF remote. How do I enable IR mode so I can use a universal remote? If I can't enable IR, what universal remotes can I use that use RF to control the soundbar?
1. Budget: Not a limiting factor, but call it $3,000 2. Seating distance: 12ft 3. Size/placement limitations: Inside a cabinet, 11" max depth WITH STAND seems like the most limiting factor, no wall-mount options, TV cavity 53.25x38.75x11 (WxHxD) 4. Uses and sources: Casual TV and DVD watching, family room. 5. Room lighting: Not too much natural light, basement with a few small windows I am partial to plasmas (I have a Pioneer Plasma 50" 500m Kuro and Panasonic Plasma 55"...
Room: open plan 25x15 with 12' ceiling TV/Soundbar mounted to wall above mantel, about 7' up the wall (wall = 15' long) 1 side wall glass (25') 1 side wall 75% open to kitchen/hallway/stairs (25') 1 rear wall 50% open to kitchen/dining room (15') Requirements: ~$1500 Wireless Sub No separate receiver Surround quality not top priority Good dialog/voice volume and separation TV will be mounted on articulating arm above mantle with a range of motion, and I...
Any ideas? There are many options available, and I don't know if there's something on the horizon I should wait for or pick an existing remote. I had an iPod touch and iPad, so those are viable options.
I need a remote to control the following equipment: Pioneer Kuro 500M TV Pioneer VSX-21TXH AVR Tivo Premiere DVR Mac Mini HTPC (2010 model) running Plex 9, iTunes, & DVD software player I need a remote that can do all the basics for the TV, AVR, and Tivo, but I also need something that can effectively run my HTPC. I know there are dedicated iOS apps to interact with the Mac Mini and Plex, but these aren't really great. I have to wiggle the mouse or press the...