or Connect

Posts by mjs90201

I am considering the Energy ESW-M6 for a small space. Perhaps it would suit your needs? http://www.amazon.com/Energy-ESW-M6-.../dp/B001RQ1R8U
Improvements like power management seem worth waiting for (especially since I think worsening economic conditions in 2010 may bring deeper discounts in discretionary items like consumer electronics...but that's a topic for another forum!). Perhaps I'll get the Magnavox to tide me over and maximize the quality of my VHS to digital conversions. By the time the new TiVo arrives, might a competitor have added similar home networking capabilities to their DVR to better...
Interesting idea but... There is a Pioneer 660 on eBay going for over $600 shipped. Seems like a lot to pay for a discontinued product that is not quite what I'm looking for.
Gracias amigo. I suppose it boils down to whether I want to leap into the internet age of intergrated entertainment systems (TiVo) or just get a new and improved VCR (Magnavox 2160). Do I really want a box that never stops sucking energy, monitoring my viewing habits, and feeding me unwanted advertising? I'm starting to think I do!
You are very knowledgeable! It appears I could convert those VHS tapes to .MPG files using Tivo HD. If a purpose of the "encryption" is to deter piracy (as I suspected), I am surprised the Tivo software allows programs like VideoRedo and Nero to process the files. If I use VideoRedo to edit a .TiVo file, will the edited file be saved as *.mpg or *.TiVo? If the Kmttg program to required to produce *mpg files, I would still install the TiVo Desktop software for the...
I have no plan to get an Xbox. I already spend too much time staring at video screens without becoming addicted to video games! [Which is also why I've avoided cable TV.]I would be pleased if TiVo could allow me to play the mp3 files stored on my PC hard drive through my stereo system via Tivo's wireless network connection. I do not want to watch television and play mp3 music at the same time. I may like to listen to mp3 files while TiVo is recording tv shows,...
As I see it, the primary drawback to a tuner/capture card would be the need to run one or more cables from my computer to my TV or AV Receiver in order to view content on my HDTV. If I go with the Tivo, I'd also buy the Tivo wireless adapter. I dislike the need to have an internet (or phone) connection, but I like the idea of being able to stream video and mp3 files from my computer to my entertainment system wirelessly via Tivo (something I had not previously...
If I understand correctly, "OTA" refers to the ability to process broadcast DIGITAL television signals? Did ReplayTV or TiVo Series 2 allow one to download/offload recorded shows? [If so, I could possibly pick up a cheap used one to convert my VHS tapes to digital.] It seems my DVR choice is between the Magnavox and the much more expensive (with upfront fee) Tivo HD. Does the Magnavox H2160 allow one to transfer (write) recorded video to a DVD-R data disc in the form of...
Thank you for your response. That table compares four high def DVR's and a DVR/DVD recorder. Are there any standard definition DVR's offering the five features I seek? You seem to indicate that the only DVR that can record analogue input from a VCR is the Magnovox 2160 DVD recorder. I do not see this feature listed in the comparison table. Are you sure there are no current standard definition DVR's that can do this? Broadcast television only recently converted to...
As a novice, Id appreciate help with my first DVR purchase (it's not clear to me what machines if any have all the features I want). I use an antenna to receive broadcast television (no cable or satellite). The features that interest me are: CRITICAL 1. Pause/resume live television (I would guess they all do this?) 2. Can be manually programmed to record certain times/shows without a subscription service. 3. Allows users to download recorded shows to their...