or Connect

Posts by jqmn

^+1 andComcast is not in the business of giving you new, better technology; better picture; better anything. They are in the cash flow business (nothing wrong with that) and don't move unless they: see competitive threats that are real, implement technologies that enable them to maintain their regional cable monopolies, expand their business from existing infrastructure (home security, voice, etc.) or sell more ads, VOD, on boxes in additional rooms.
Remember those Digital Transport Adapters Comcast gave out for free back in 2011 when they were going completely digital (and scrambling everything)? Well it appears they are now charging $1.99/mos. whether you use it or not. I had to go find the one they sent me (and never opened the box much less used) and will return it this week....
Craig-- I don't know much about your system so I might be asking an off base question here but can you share any thinking on why K would not allow an HDMI input for an additional non-K device to be used as an "approved" BD input device? For example, while it is true that there are many region free BDs, there is a lot of high quality content that is region locked. If, for example, one used a (cheap) region B player to input the movie to an essentially region A system all...
Maybe I am missing something here but I am not sure what there is to challenge. Reading their info it appears that they have positioned themselves as a company that provides a product that (a) plays (directly or by distributing protected content while maintaining the hdmi protection) physical disks if you insert them and (b) may play DVD/BD movies from a HD if you have your own s/w and you rip them. As such they stay out of the legal quagmire by essentially providing a...
Thanx! But does go on to say you can watch this "restored again" version in 2D if you take the 3D disc, then turn off 3D on the player and the TV. Didn't know you could do that.
Did anyone ever figure out whether the 2D disc packaged with the 3D set is based on the restoration work done for 3D or is it just the recycled 70th anniversary disc?
Josh-- Thanx. I went back and did it again adjusting for the +4dB as you mentioned. I will chalk this up to the fallacy of very short term audio memory since in the four key initial scenes I tested the 2013 DTSMA still sounds "better" to me for whatever reason (clearer, better highs, still more "punch" (but not much)) against the 2006 LPCM. I know this shouldn't be given what you say and I accept that. Thanx again.
I pulled out my previous BD and compared the two back to back given all the talk. For me, the audio and video is a clear step up from BD to BD. My point earlier about the sound of guns in that that they are loud in the wild and louder in closed rooms is that almost no mix actually has guns sounding like a real gun in a close or closed environment due to that actual loudness. In the newest mix the first pistol blast at the house with the mistaken SC has both sonic hit...
One man's pew, pew is another's pop and then another's boom, or greater. At least I guess that explains the noise differential I hear on anything from a .22 up to a .45; to say nothing of 30-30s, 12 gauges or even 410s. Take any of those weapons out on the West Texas plain where there is no competing noise and little echo (the "powwwww" effect), stand next to the person that fires it downrange, and without any ear protection (not that I am recommending that) tell me if...
All this talk about how much rain could be produced within the dome...what we found interesting was how the dome was able to send the rain in very particular patterns...the scene where it is pouring but the people in front of the camera aren't getting wet; the scene where it is pouring but 15 - 20 feet behind the car the road is dry in a perfectly straight line and the house to the right is dry, etc.