or Connect

Posts by CincyNick

You're correct. I initially was having localization problems with my dual (mismatched) sub setup. After taking some measurements, I also found a 15dB null at 25Hz and some other smaller valleys from 0-200Hz.Tonight I was able to find the sweet spot to integrate both subs and rid myself of the nasty null. My XS-15 ended up front and center and my A2-300 in the back right corner of the room (phase at 0). This combination offered the smoothest response in my listening area...
I wholeheartedly agree. Maybe after I figure out how much I owe uncle Sam this year, I can add another XS15 to the system. Fantastic info about room treatments. I had NO IDEA that it would require absorption that thick. Obviously that's a no go. Where would my son put his AT-AT and snowtroopers?I'm kind of using Geddes approach now (if I'm reading it correctly). My mains are great down to 60Hz before they start to dip. The XS15 has a valley at 70 Hz but is pretty darn...
Thanks, BeeMan. I only moved the furniture after trying every place i could find for the XS15. I just wanted to hear and see the differences it would make in my system. It was actually a pretty cool exercise to get a feel for just how much objects and furniture can affect response. After all was said and done, I moved the furniture back. Right now my couch position has three great seating spots for XT32 calibration. I chose that over having an extra chair moved further...
It's very easy to see how we go from a simple setup in the family room to dedicated theaters in our homes. It seems to happen incredibly fast. I don't know if I'm fortunate or not, but I won't be able to go the dedicated route for some time. My kids are only 4 and 6 months, and I'm in NO HURRY for them to get older But, when they do, our basement will be completely transformed!
Thanks for the help. I've moved the subwoofer to every viable spot so far. The spot with the smoothest response seems to be the right wall about 3 feet away from the corner. Last night I also moved the couch back about a foot and rearranged some furniture. Like many, my HT is in a shared area of our basement surrounded by toys, so there are some places that won't work unfortunately. I can just see my son playing Star Wars guys on top of the sub while simultaneously...
Thanks so much for the info. This makes perfect sense. I was playing with the crossover last night, but didn't think of changing the distance settings. I did notice that changing the crossover to 60Hz did cure one valley around 70Hz. The mains were stronger in this range and seemed to compensate for the valley caused by the sub. However, I still have a pretty nasty 12-15 dB valley/null around 25Hz that just won't go away. I'm guessing this is a room null and will only be...
You know what, I'm not. I'm going to have to figure out how to do that in REW at lunch. I think I'm going to have to start all over and work on the mains first, and then move to the subs. Thanks again!
I always turn off Audyssey & Dyn EQ and then reset the levels to 0 prior to running REW. Is this what you're talking about?Thanks!
Thanks again. I'm heading home at lunch (close to my work) and I'm going to spend a good hour with the XS15 while the kids are out just to make sure that I've got it in the best place. Then I'm going to work on the A2-300 again tonight.I've been disconnecting the mains when placing the XS15. I've found a great spot that offers pretty smooth response. However, as soon as I reconnect the mains a few large valleys stand out. Should I keep the mains connected when placing the...
Looks like I have some more tweaking to do. After running Audyssey again, a valley around 25Hz was made worse. I know Audyssey cannot fix nulls, but I thought it was able correct a large peak or valley. When playing back the sweep in REW, I could definitely notice the lack of bass at 25Hz...