or Connect

Posts by Mallego

Waverider, a PM sent. Mallego
Anyone else in NH closer to the Concord/Portsmouth line getting WHDH broadcasts on 42? Waverider, I'm in Barrington, north of you, and pick up WHDH-7 on ch 42 very nicely. I have a CM 4228 UHF aimed for Boston and a Winegard 7-13 yagi aimed for WMUR-9, it also picks up WENH-11 which is so close I could get it with a coat hanger. The UHF feeds an old CATV UHF pre-amp made by a company called Q-Bit. No longer made. The VHF side feeds a Electroline CATV drop amp and...
Is it because the CRT TVs are two-pronged plugs, and the new LCD is a three-prong plug with a ground? Exactly. First thing to do is to verify that that the cable line is bonded to the house grounding electrode as called for by the National Electrical Code (NEC). If you live in a single family home, you can do this your self. Find the point where the cable comes to and enters the house, there should be a ground block attached to the sidewall with the cable entering...
I realize the cable guys can't retransmit bit-for-bit due to bandwidth limitations and/or differing coding methods, so I was just curious how the quality of programming was ensured over these mediums. Just to clear up some misonceptions, the MPEG payload of the ATSC RF carrier is 19.393 Mb/s (rounded off to 19.4). The payload of a 256 QAM signal is 38.8 Mb/s, so two broadcaster's 19.4 Mb/s MPEG streams will fit very nicely. There is no reason for a cable operator to...
It's not a blaster i.e. transmitter, it's a IR receiver for use if you mount the DTA behind the TV.
Coyoteaz has it right. The channels showing the SD version of the HD programming from local broadcasters is already on. The setting for the display format is in the professional receiver located in the cable headend. Mallego
If I remember correctly the DCT 2224 is a set top designed for 4:3 analog SD TV sets. Yes, you need an HD set top. Mallego
Clint, when I first went to work in the CATV industry my new boss and mentor told me "If you have to worry about a dB then it's not going to play anyway". In other words if you are so close to the margin that a dB is going to make a difference, then you are already in trouble . Any cable system's levels are going to move around a little with temperature. Technicians working on the outside plant balancing the amplifiers will change the levels slightly. As Ed is...
OMARPLEE, return the box. FIOS can't talk to that box, so they can't turn it on even if they wanted to. The Motorola series STB that FIOS uses is made specialy for them. It get its data from the FIOS data stream, not from the data stream that a cable company would use. Mallego
Clint, your are over thinking the issue, just split the output of the amplifier with another splitter to connect the new TVs. Balance the load as best as you can and it will work fine. As to your question, yes it is possible but not practical. The combining would be done with a two-way splitter connected backwards. Now both drops have to be exactly the same length, with the same signal levels and each desired channel would have to be in phase. At best you will get a...