or Connect

Posts by ataylor

So, did you ask them why they didn't just use Premise?
Yes, I would have a Sonos player in each room or area where we wanted music (say, each bedroom plus the kitchen, family room, back porch, etc.), and then an NFC tag at each location with a unique UID. So tapping the tag in the kitchen would send a command to playback on the kitchen Sonos, while tapping the back porch tag would send the output there instead. Your Tasker logic is spot-on, I think (although I'd likely try to use something less complicated than Tasker, which...
Since I'm not interested in the software you're pushing, I should go ask somewhere else? I've actually got a support request into Sonos; I just thought somebody around these parts might know the answer and be able to respond a little quicker.
I'm not really interested in adding a secondary control layer. If the Sonos controller works as advertised, all I really want/need to do is automate control of the Sonos controller app via NFC or similar. So maybe a different way of asking would be, does anybody know if the Sonos app (iOS and/or Android) is scriptable via a custom URL scheme? In other words, can I get one of the several NFC apps on the market to "tell Sonos to play music on speaker #X", where speaker # is...
So we are getting ready to build a new house, and I'm thinking about audio distribution, because I'm a nerd. For these house we're in now (that we are moving out of), I intended to have whole-home audio distribution, so I spent a small fortune pulling wires for in-wall and in-ceiling speakers, and wall-mount volume controls - none of which ever got used. In-wall and in-ceiling speakers are expensive, and the control system seemed like it was going to be hard to implement....
I'm no DIY genius, but I would think it shouldn't be too hard to either find or rig up a remote-controlled "solenoid" that would complete a simple circuit. Maybe some kind of Arduino deal. Depending on how much of a tinkerer you are, that might be cheaper and more rewarding than dropping a bunch of $$ on a WiFi thermostat.
Howdy, folks. Been a while since I posted, but the wife and I are getting ready to sell up and build a new house and I need to get up to speed on the current state of the home automation world. I spent 10 years as a custom home builder, and I did all of the low-voltage wiring and trim work in my current home. I will likely do this work for myself again in the new build, to save on labor costs. Briefly, I'd like to add a little bit of automation to the house, prepare for...
Why not go with a Bluray player with internet connectivity for Netflix and Pandora? Going that route, the choice of a streamer becomes much simpler: Just get something that does local playback really well. All the other connectivity stuff becomes a moot point. Given that updated set of requirements, which unit would you suggest for local-playback only?
Yes - the receiver is recent (last couple of years), but the TV is older - maybe six or eight years. The receiver will up-convert everything to either component or HDMI, but it won't down-convert HDMI to component.
I don't really consider "being able to display a picture" a starting point. I've got two-year-old gadgets that can do that. As I mentioned somewhere above, I've not been following the "advances" (and I use that term loosely) in the media streamer market for the last couple of years, but now that I've decided to upgrade, I'm disappointed to see that things haven't advanced all that much. There's a lot more choice, but not much of it seems like an improvement. In the last...