or Connect

Posts by AlieniceT

I think with Netflix seemingly out of the picture now there is going to be little effort put into improving the player. Unfortunately the bugs still remain and affect those who bought the player on a daily basis. The newest bug that I have experienced is on 1080/59.94 wmv files. During playback the on screen display of the time code never goes away. Even if you try to make it go away by tapping the popup menu key on the remote, it reappears to stay a few seconds...
The December 2006 BD release of The Descent contained only 6.1 Hi-resolution PCM and 5.1 DD EX sountracks, plus the two commentary tracks. No HD-MA audio on the disc. Don't know if the February 2011 combo release with The Eye had any remixed audio for The Descent on it. I believe it's just a repackaged clone of the '06 BD. All my rips are 1:1 and my rip of The Descent plays back fine with either soundtrack. Check to see how you have your 550 set up to deliver PCM audio...
Quote: Originally Posted by slimoli -Although there is a lot of people who say 1080P is available on some titles for the PS3, I am yet to see hard evidence it's true. Why doesn't Netflix say so, if it's true ? Since the PS3 does not offer Source Direct as an output option, we can only guess what the PS3 is seeing from Netflix for any purported 1080P content. I frequently toggle the display button on my PS3 Blu-Ray remote to see what quality...
Played a Blu-Ray backup file from a HDD connected to the rear USB port earlier. Playback was flawless and identical to the original disc when run through the player. During this time there was no disc in the Oppo. However, after backing out of the screen listing the contents of the HDD and returning to the Home menu, I opened the tray of the player and inserted the BR of The Dark Knight (not a backup). The Oppo showed the disc loading animation in the upper left...
My anticipated implementation for the Oppo 95 will be HDMI out to the AVR for video content and multichannel DVD-A/SACD, and then 2-channel analog out directly into an 845-based tube amp and dedicated stereo speakers utilizing the Pure Audio mode on the 95. I want to utilize the volume control on the Oppo remote and bypass any preamplification source by going direct into the tube amp. I'm hoping the output impedance of the Oppo and the input impedance of the tube amp...
From the Oppo website description of the BDP-95:World Power Supply - The BDP-95 features a world power supply that is compatible with AC power from all regions. Voltage range from 100V-120V and 200V-240V can be selected by flipping a switch on the back panel. You will only need a plug adapter.
I'm guessing that the addition of a fan to the 95 (that is absent on the 93) was necessitated by the larger toroidal power supply. Regardless, let's hope this fan is nice and quiet.
A couple of observatons: I've used both the eSATA and USB ports to play back blu-ray backups via a 2TB HDD through a Thermaltake BlacX ST0005U HDD docking station. Surprisingly, the playback has less issues via the USB interface as I've had a few lockups and audio sync issues when using the eSATA port. Titles that had these problems with the eSATA interface played fine through the USB connection, confirming the actual backup files were good. This could possibly be...
One thing I've noted, is that the open/close command issued from the remote (have not tried the front panel button) takes a minimum of 8-10 seconds to execute when you have external storage connected to the rear USB or eSATA port. Without anything connected to these ports, I've had good response with the tray opening or closing. Not a deal breaker by any means, just a comment meant to let others who may experience it know that it appears to be common (repeatable)...
Unless there are firmware refinements that can be applied to improve the response of the IR sensor, I don't see this happening.I have to agree to this and express some disappointment in the performance of the player in this area at this stage. There's not much to praise about a well designed and backlit remote if the response of the player is laggy or even occasionally non-responsive. I've had disc tray open/close commands issued from the remote take 10-15 seconds to...