or Connect

Posts by cdru

I have the same receiver and the EXACT same issue. It got better (less frequency of occurance) with a newer discrete video card but it still sucks. If the input is switched away from the HTPC for any decent length of time, the solution to get the picture back is to restart the computer.I'll replace it eventually. The power button on the front is flaky and doesn't work most of the time to put it to sleep. So I have to either use the power switch to completely shut it...
Where was it said that it was stuttering? Depending on the codec and what's being used to stream, periods of peak cpu usage may be just filling the buffers. Once the buffers have transmitted then another block of time is transcoded to refill the buffers. This reduces the memory footprint over transcoding large blocks and holding it in memory only to have to flush it if the video is rewound or fast forwarded. And it's easier to code the filling and emptying of the buffers...
While you said fanless, I'm going to comment on my fanned setup. I have a Intel DH61AG motherboard with a G620T processor with stock OEM fan. No it's not the latest and greatest, but it's more than fast enough for anything I've asked it to do. The board and processor is mounted in an old Dish 811 receiver case that I gutted and cut the back plate to accommodate the connectors. The case's top is perforated so airflow in/out of the case isn't a concern although there isn't...
Seagate flat out says in their warranty "the product you send to Seagate or an authorized service provider will not be returned to you." I think that would be very conclusive that Seagate doesn't repair your drive and return it back to you.The timeline for drive replacement also doesn't support the idea that drives are repaired and sent back. If the drive gets sent to one location but the replacement comes from anther, that would preclude that it was "repaired". Or if a...
I wasn't trying to be argumentative. I was just pointing out that getting a repaired/refurbished part has always been a part of the warranties for a long time for just about everything electronic.
Some people don't want to get up, unplug the drive from the TV, plug it into the computer, wait for the file to copy, unplug it from the computer, plug it back into the TV every time they want to watch a movie. Or they want to have a different interface or tweak it slightly different than the one option the manufacturer decided on. Or they want something that will be supported longer than a year from now.It's an apples to oranges comparison. The USB stick is just a storage...
EVERY warranty for a hard drive (and probably every other consumer electronic device) states that. I've replaced more that just a couple of drives over the years that were covered by warranty and I always received a refurbished drive back. In at least once case, I received an "upgraded" drive as they did not have any 200GB drives so they sent a refurbished 250GB instead.I would be extremely surprised if any manufacturer would repair a drive that you sent in and then sent...
Yes. No. Maybe. Possibly. Doubtful. Take your pick.Any forum that has more than 1 thread regarding which brand is better will have supporting evidence for either brand. BOTH brands have had models that have problems. BOTH brands have models that happily keep spinning away perfectly fine. It's like asking if GM or Ford makes better cars. Or McDonalds, Burger King, or Wendy's make better burgers. Or if Exxon, BP, or Shell has better gas. You'll find ardent supporters and...
There are a lot of factors that go into how fast the data gets moved from the patters to sent down the drive cable. RPM can be one of those factors, but it won't be the only factor to contribute to how different your results are. Platter density, number of platters, cache, NCQ, etc all factor in. Also don't forget a highly fragmented drive will perform poorly as compared to a perfectly defragmented drive as you don't have to account for the head thrashing about. As...
Sickbeard has limited torrent support. I haven't used it so I can't comment on how effective it is at keeping up to date, but it is there.Sickbeard can do that too. It supports a black hole (watch folder) where your torrent client (or anything else for that matter) can just dump a file to and SickBeard will pick it up and process it. I do this with my setup and it works fine. It's not processed "real time" instantly as soon as the file gets there, but if you automate...