or Connect

Posts by curttard

I should add that the plugs will need to be about 33" x 22", so not all that big. Is there any reason to use any kind of foam when the windows are small enough that weight won't be a real issue (i.e. if using multiple layers of MDF)? I guess foam might be useful as a type of gasket to get a nice friction fit. Also, is it better to have a gap between the window glass and my plug? How big of a gap is ideal?
My band practices in one room of the basement that has two of the typical small basement windows in window wells (plastic bubble outside). My theater is in another room with one of the same kind of windows. I've been outside while everything was going and it's not bad. It's single family so we're not actually touching another house, but the theater window is only 10' or so from the neighbor's house. On the band side, the nearest neighbor is across the street, but they...
Builder's flat is that generic off-white that most new homes are painted with. It's not really a pure, bright white. That texture is brutal!Paint probably wouldn't be significantly or possibly any brighter than that screen, but it would be a lot cheaper. If you can hang a piece of drywall somehow, that would be $10 in drywall and $10 in paint for a 4x8 screen size (you can also get drywall in 5x10 for a couple dollars more but good luck getting it in there).If there's no...
You probably won't get much brighter than a white wall unless that is not a "real" white but more of a builder's flat. The stucco texture is probably hurting the picture too though. If you want you could put up a piece of drywall (would leave holes in the wall though) and paint it a white like Glidden GLN9000 or Sherwin Williams ProClassic. Your biggest improvement would be surrounding the screen area with dark sheets or something. Get some navy sheets from Walmart and...
Viewing angle and off-axis gain, as I'm sure you're aware. Gain is simply a number representing how the brightness of one surface compares to the brightness of a reference surface (I believe that reference surface is magnesium carbonate) from a given viewing position. A "1.3 gain screen" is going to be 1.3x as bright as the magnesium (or a measured 1.0 gain white screen) when viewed from a center viewing position...but will not be that bright from other angles. The edges...
OP (and others) may find it helpful to know that someone who has tried both of the exact two options he is weighing, and in fact viewed them extensively side by side, did not find the more expensive and laborious one to be noticeably better. I know I would have welcomed such insight when I was choosing my own screen.Not sure what this has to do with anything I said. The RSMMLL is as bright as Studiotek 130, and brighter than Glidden GLN9000 and C&S Ultra, in the center of...
Also, what are the actual dimensions of the screen you want, i.e. width by height? Does it have to be that big?
OP, if you don't mind, if you go the RSMMLL route, it would help the forum if you also did a panel with a regular off the shelf paint -- you can get a quart of Glidden GLN9000 for $10 at Home Depot, or you can probably get a sample-size for $3 -- and compare it with your finished RSMMLL screen at various points around the screen. I seem to be the only one who has done so and our friend Mississippi is always quick to dismiss my findings as "the opinion of one person". In...
Yeah, the solution is probably to move the light back, but I really don't feel like taking down the velvet and tearing the drywall up again. It's pretty much only for UFCs that i want a light on anyway.
Not sure what your budget is, but for a screen that size in 3D, you need all the help you can get. You will probably find the image unacceptably dim in 3D at that size with a paint solution and may want to look into Da-Lite High Power 2.4 gain -- but I'm not sure you'd be able to find one in that size. Can't you come down in size? The recommended RSMMLL is only going to give you a little bit more gain than a regular white paint, and then only in the middle of the screen...