or Connect

Posts by svgtom

This is normal with plasma sets and has to do with energy consumption. The brighter the picture, the more energy it uses so it automatically dims the screen. This has nothing to do with C.A.T.S. and yes, it is very noticeable when you bring up the menu on a white screen. Personally, I don't really notice it unless the screen is almost completely white which usually only happens during commercials or credits.Note that bringing up the menu on a white screen is also a quick...
I was thinking of upgrading my Panny BD65 to a current Panny model but I see that they still don't support 5.1 audio with the Amazon player. Are there any BD players that do support 5.1 with Amazon but also play nice with Panasonic TVs? Would the Sony 590 fit the bill? My TV is the ST50 and I'm just wondering if other than Panasonic, would certain BD players be a better fit with my set or would it just not matter?
I currently have the BD65. I've been happy with it and haven't had any problems. I've been wondering though how much of an improvement a current BR player would be. Features aside, are the newer processors a noticeable, if not significant improvement over what I have? Since I have a Viera TV I'm looking to stick with Panasonic. Thanks in advance.
It's my honest opinion that if people aren't seeing IR it's because they're not looking for it. I have an ST50, and IR doesn't last as long as it initially did (I've had my set since March) but it still happens. If I watch a show with a logo for an hour or so, I will get IR but I do need to look for it. I had been watching the Olympics though around 3 - 4 hours a day, and had a really bad case of IR with the NBC Olympic logo. It was very visible while watching other...
I think it varies by delivery company and probably the delivery men as well. I'm also an Amazon Prime member. CEVA delivered my 50ST50. One of the guys asked if I wanted them to set it up. I said I at least wanted to make sure the set was working. They then took it out of the box, attached it to the base and placed it on my stand. They then proceeded to hook up my cable box via HDMI and then because they saw the cables dangling from behind the set, hooked up my VCR via...
Yes, it's common. When news broadcasts show footage or cut to a reporter on location, the quality will vary and is often SD. This is especially true for local newscasts. A lot of video is shot by "field" reporters who basically rush to a scene (e.g. a burning building) before a news truck can get there. Many of them use their own equipment.
On Cablevision, the 3D channel is 1300. Unfortunately, all 3D coverage will be of prior days' events. I guess they need time to format it. The opening ceremonies in 3D is first listed for 5am Saturday and then shown throughout the day.
Well it was mentioned early on, by myself included, that the ST50 appears somewhat soft. I wasn't sure what to make of it at first since I was coming from a 42" 720p Panny. It doesn't always appear soft though. Here are some comments by SiGGy from the VT thread:I don't believe this is a 1080i issue as I've noticed it on 720p content as well. There doesn't seem to be a consensus from the VT thread as to what is causing it either. I'm using the same STB that I used with my...
How high are those plasmas placed in BB? As I and others have mentioned, you need to be looking at the screen at eye level or higher. Any lower (i.e. you're looking downwards at the picture) and you'll see the effects of the filter which will darken the picture.
Last night something strange happened while I was watching a Blu-ray. In the lower right hand corner the following message appeared: "3D signal detected. Press the 3D button to view in 3D." The thing is though that the movie I was watching (Excalibur) is not in 3D nor do I have a 3D Blu-ray player. Towards the end of the movie there is an extended fight scene which takes place in a fog. During this scene the message appeared three more times. When watching a regular...