or Connect

Posts by BuTal63

Just curious why there does not seem to be interest in anyone starting a VT30 Owner's Thread. (I don't have a VT-30, yet). This thread also seems a bit slow, considering the new model and what I thought would be its off-the-charts popularity. In my AVS experience, Owner's Threads usually take off bigtime once the new models have hit. PRICE DROP: Just noticed that Panny has reduced the VT30's by $180. New MSRP $4119.95 and $2,619.94. Many other Panny products also...
Just to make sure no one takes my above quote out of context without seeing the original post, let me add here that I agree with you completely. This 515 is really well designed and user friendly. I think I'm having more fun with it so far than almost any other piece of electronic gear I've bought recently. Now that I've read through the manual, I've dreamed up more uses for it than just the sports time shifting I originally bought it for. My only real concern re the...
Aha! They read the wish list. What great support, in both directions. I hate to sound like a snob, but I have never had much respect for modern-day Magnavox-Funai poducts. I usually hang in the Panny, Pio, Yamaha and similar first-tier products threads. That's what I usually buy, too. I have to say, in my experience those manufacturers have rarely shown as much responsiveness to consumer needs and desires as Funai has domonstrated with this great little product. Now,...
True. I was just looking at the worst case scenario. I guess as long as there's a refrigerator nearby, it's not a problem. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something after reading through most of the basics in the manual. I'm impressed with how the manual is laid out. This is such a complex, multi-multi-functioned device that the manual could have been a nightmare. After you learn how the manual itself is arranged, it's really decent and helpful.
That's the first thing I noticed about my new 515. The remote functionality and layout are very good. Very logical and intuitive of what the user is likely to want to do repeatedly with a minimum of searching or button-pushing. It's as though they designed it after a whole bunch of input from users of other units. (??) Speaking of the remote: do you or anyone know if they are shipped with a protective wrap adhered to the unit's surface that needs to be peeled off? It...
As we all know, these days a typical half hour commercial TV program may consist of as little as 18 minutes or so of meat and 12 minutes of fat, gristle, puffery and lies. I won't even mention the added distraction of all those pop-up promos during the actual program. Ooops, I did mention it. My point is that it seems you really can't start recording a live program and begin chase playing it a few seconds or minutes later, because you'll catch up to the real-time...
Very true. My old Panny VCR was top of the line when I bought it. It really does output very listenable quality Dolby 2.1(?) stereo for limited purposes. For example WYSP simulcasts of Eagles football games with local announcers. But, you're right, it does not come anywhere near state-of-the-art digital 5.1or better today, especially for more demanding home theater apps. We've come a long way.
Heehee, it happened late last night. Brain was shot from the huge learning curve and forgot I was watching live. Nevertheless, this thing is fun!
WOW! Initial observations after one hour of use: When recording from an analog Comcast STB to the HDD on the HQ setting, I CANNOT tell the difference between live and HDD so far. Won't be trying the built-in digital tuner yet. No need to, thus far, since the STB gives me all the available channels in easy fashion and I'd have to switch cables or add another splitter. The last thing I need is another splitter in the lines. I'll try it eventually out of curiosity....
The 515 does not have this feature, correct? It would be useful when dealing with Comcast's straight through - no STB - scattered channel lineup. I guess in the setup you can bypass all the channels you're not interested in watching though, so maybe it's a wash.