or Connect

Posts by Blippy2005

Yes hardware is definitely the easy part. Software is the much more difficult and time consuming part. The first one may be quite the learning curve adventure. However once you get the software install down once things become much easier the 2nd time round. Thank goodness that there's Arcsoft Total Media Theatre now. I was so sick of Cyberlink and Intervideo messes. I suggest the following, however I suggest doing research into each piece to confirm if it's something...
I revise my above list and substitute Arcsoft Total Media Theatre for CyberlinkPowerDVD 7 and/or 8. At last someone makes decent playback software for HD-DVD + Blu-Ray other than Cyberlink. So much faster, more stable, and responsive. Cleaner design, no annoying logos. Looks and sounds better too so far.
I'll defend HTPC and put the blame squarely on the DRM goons and none of the other software/hardware developers. A properly configured and maintained (e.g. tuned and setup PRIMARILY for theatre, don't go web browsing all over the place with it or installing random crap) HTPC is still awesome. The problem is they definitely take a lot more hours to get to that state than your average A/V component. Take sufficiently good HTPC hardware and throw in Logitech DiNovo...
Well this is just a prediction and it's my own. No evidence to back it up at all. I'm guessing that unless Blu-Ray can take around 30-50% of the market by 2010 that we will all be moving onto HD-Downloads of some kind. Frankly I don't think that they can hit that number. I'd say in 2 years Blu-Ray will be at most around 10%. The only things I base these guesses on are: 1) The slowly but surely increasing population with high-speed internet connections and two...
Well like DVD I'm sure that many of us will archive HD-DVD/Blu-Ray for future playback. So if people know what they're doing I'm sure it's a non-issue. I for one am not rebuying HD-DVD's that I own on Blu-Ray.
Wishlist Battlestar Galactica season 2+ Gladiator Braveheart Indiana Jones series I'd say Band of Brothers but I have the Japanese imports =) love em. Thankfully I got them during preordering price before the price got jacked up beyond normal. Also wish for just about anything else that anyone already listed
Purchased already: Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD Standalone Player Xbox 360 HD-DVD Addon used on both Xbox 360 and HTPC for HD-DVD LG GGC-H20L HD-DVD/Blu-Ray combo drive for HTPC Future Purchase, conditionals: A) Christmas time frame for PS3 down to $300 or less including PS2 backwards compatibility and 60 gig minimum HD. or B) Standalone Blu-Ray 2.0 profile Panasonic player for less than $200. or C) PS3 down to $200 not including PS2 backwards compatibility.
As long as there are still titles on HD-DVD that aren't available on Blu-Ray, I'll still support HD-DVD. I have both via an LG combo drive, but I by far prefer my HD-DVD's as they have given me far less trouble when it comes to necessary software upgrades to playback a movie (20 minutes to upgrade the player to be able to play Die Hard 1 for the friends was not exactly a confidence builder). At this time, I also feel the software catalog is better on HD-DVD (at least...
In the long run it makes both sides better and cheaper. Look at how it turned out for DVD+/-R as a good example. I think there was enough room for both sides to coexist and when the price of adding both to one drive/player comes down to less than $200 no one would care anyhow. Thankfully both are physically the same size and use the same laser just aimed differently and read slightly differently (both of which can be handled with minor hardware/software fixes), so it's...
I'd like to say thanks for writing the original letter. It was a good read. I originally bought into HD-DVD but I always knew all along that Blu-ray would win in the long long run. PS3 + Data capacity was always going to do it. What I disliked was the ramrod way that everything Blu was being forced down our throats. I felt both sides had far too much invested to back down. Also I felt that when a dual format player came out that was $200 or less the entire format war...