or Connect

Posts by SirJohnFalstaff

Yup. You're right. After deciding it must be the 3930, I found a post from 2008 by someone with the exact same issue. Turns out there's one setting that's only hinted at in the manual that affect's analog audio--it's in the video settings!?! Now everything works fine and it had nothing to do with the AVR. Thanks!
I'm having no luck getting all channels on SACD's and DVD-Audio disks to play when using the EXTERNAL IN connectors. I've got my trusty old DVD-3930CI connected via the 5.1 analog audio outputs to the 4520 and selected EXTERNAL IN in the input mode for CD. When I play any disks, only the sub and main speakers produce sound. I get nothing from the center and surrounds even though all 6 channel indicators on the 3930 are lit. On the 4520, the output signal channel indicators...
Sigh... Just want some crossover advice, then I'm all done tweaking. So all my speakers are set to small. Bass is LFE+Main. Audyssey has set my LPF(LFE) to 120Hz and the crossovers as follows: Front 40Hz, Center 40Hz, Surround 100Hz and S.Back 60Hz. Any suggestions on making any changes? Should I raise the Fronts and Center to 80Hz and maybe the Surrounds and S.Back to 120Hz?
Hey, guys. Audyssey set my center and main speakers to ‘Large’ and ‘Full Band’. I’ve selected LFE+Main and manually set the speaker sizes to ‘Small.’ The owner’s manual is a little unclear if doing this with affect the ability to use Audyssey MultEQ XT 32. I think it says that I can change the speaker configuration in the Manual Setup menu after I run Audyssey without affecting it, but if I make those changes in the Audyssey Setup menu, then I won’t be able to select...
So, after watching a few Blu-rays this weekend I'm now even more impressed with this AVR's performance. I started yesterday with two concerts. Mumford & Sons: Road to Red Rocks and Sully Erna's Avalon. Both have simply stunning audio and the 4520 produced a very immersive sound stage. The clarity of the audience in the surround speakers was wonderful, as was the detail of the instruments and vocals in the main and center channels. I invited a good friend over to watch...
I'm sure there's just some picture setting between the Oppo, AVR and projector that isn't getting along after the initial start-up. Actual disk content is unaffected. I do have the most recent firmware for both the Oppo and the 4520. I tried it again this morning and everything worked as it should, but when I checked the Color Space on the Oppo it was set to Auto. I usually have it set to YCbCr 4:4:4, so it may have been reset after the latest firmware install I did just a...
The 3930 and analog cables are only for SACD, DVD-A and CD's. I use a BDP-103 for movies. Although I just listed to Queen's '39 on DVD-A via the Oppo and it was quite the religious experience. Just watched Greystoke, Legend of Tarzan on blu-ray. For a movie that didn't get any special treatment for the limited release, the 4520 created a very nice sound stage from the 5.1 mix. So far it's impressing me. The only bug I've encountered is that when I turn on my Oppo, the...
Thanks for the help guys. I wasn't aware that DTS-MA did that. Now I know to use PLIIx. I unplugged everything this morning. Last night I noticed the 4520 ran a little warmer than my previous AVR's so I dropped down the shelf it sits on to add a bit more air flow. Even after 3 hours of use it's warm, but not what I would call hot. Fortunately it's in my basement home theater where the temperature never gets above 20 degrees Celsius. I re-ran Audyssey as well and this time...
Just playing around with things and have two questions. Sound Modes. When left on default, say, DTS-MA (during a 5.1 soundtrack) my rear surrounds are active--I have a 7.1 set-up. So when I select Dolby PLIIx Cinema, the rears stay active, but now the display shows, DTS-MA Dolby PLIIx + C. If I select DTS-MA, the rears continue to be active, but now the display just reads, DTS-MA. If I select DTS-MA for a 5.1 source, shouldn't the rears cease? Not that I'm concerned, I...
One thing I wanted to add. With ARC and my Anthem I found my subwoofer levels were a bit too high. I was told the ARC was right and that I shouldn't change a thing. Well after I ran Audyssey my sub sounds as powerful and smooth as I preferred from my 3808. So far I prefer Audyssey.