or Connect

Posts by Brian81

Resurrecting an old thread here, but I just tried this out and my experience was exactly the same as the OP. At 1 screen width, I can clearly tell the difference between the "2K" image and the two higher resolution images. But I could not tell the difference between the "4K" and "8K". At .75 screen widths away (approx. my preferred viewing distance), the results are the same. It wasn't until I got .50 screen widths away that I could make out the difference between the...
I've been following this thread, but don't have much to really offer. I purchased the BenQ battery glasses, the EStar rechargeable glasses, and the G15 battery glasses. I've only so far tried out the G15 ones. But as far as 'wear' and comfort goes... Both the EStar and G15 have a chunk of plastic in the center, which means that if you wear them on top of eyeglasses, your glasses shouldn't touch the 3D glass lenses and scratch them. It provides a bit of space. With the...
Most likely your 300 disc has suffered disc rot and is unplayable. There's a thread in the Software forum that discusses the issues with Warner HD DVDs. Beowulf was released by Paramount.
Well, I had 'Mulholland Drive' UK HD DVD lock up my player at around the same point (1:30-1:34) three times in a row, so I'm kind of worried here. Figured WHV discs were a lost cause, but now I'm wondering if there was some flaw in the design (were there any guidelines on how discs were to be manufactured?). The StudioCanal titles, though not that many, were probably the best titles available for the format (IMO). Really didn't want to have these go bad. Even if the format...
If there's probs with Universal discs, I'm also calling it a day with the format. I've since come to the conclusion that any and all Warner titles will eventually be unplayable. I'm in the process of replacing them, trading them in for store credit at Best Buy for $5 each and in many cases buying something that at least feels like an upgrade (digibooks, steelbooks, anniversary editions) of sorts. I'm also re-evaluating my opinions on these films, as I'm far more selective...
So any idea as to why I am unable to access the OVERSCAN setting? It's under SDP52...titled OVERSCAN...but unlike everything else on the page, it's greyed out and scrolling down the list skips it over.
Here's what it says in the service menu at the bottom T-GALFAUSO-1025 2006-11-08 T-GALFUCOM5-6010 T-GALFAUS1-0101 If any of this info is pertained to my set directly and shouldn't be posted, let me know and I will edit. I received by HLS-5088W back around when it was first released, in June 2006. If the date listed above is for the firmware date, obviously this is later than the one that came with set originally.
Hi, I've been an owner of an HL-S5088W since 2006. I had to have the main board replaced in 2011 or 2012, but since I haven't used the set as much as I used to, I hadn't bothered to turn the overscan off again. I did this with the original board. So today I finally try to do it and the setting is INACTIVE and set to ON- I can't change it. The overscan is really bad on this set, cutting off credits that are really close to the edge of the screen. Turning it off worked...
It's not the players, it's the DISCS. Departed, Aviator, and Goodfellas are all Warner titles pressed at the same facility.
I've been trying to play through titles the past week or so, and here's the titles (so far) and how they've fared... 300 (Combo) - OK Batman Begins - OK Caddyshack - OK Casablanca - BAD Full Metal Jacket - BAD Last Samurai - BAD Lethal Weapon 2 - BAD Pan's Labyrinth - OK Space Cowboys - BAD Unforgiven - BAD V For Vendetta - OK Willy Wonka - BAD That's what I've TRIED.