or Connect

Posts by compcons

I recently have run into some bad luck on my HD5s. 1 started to crackle a bit so I demoted it to a rear and moved the rear to the front. Now that front speaker produces zero sound. I really liked the HD5s combined with a CRC7 center and PV600 sub driven by a Denon AVR-2310CI. It fits the room perfectly and are out of the way. These don't get a ton of use, mostly DVD watching and occassionally some music. I have some weird attachment to the speakers but I am...
I myself grabbed a clearance open box (no box, no power, no cables, and a single remote from a 3311) last night. I was leaning towards a Pioneer Elite VSX-31 for $450 but while pondering that, I saw a 2310 on a shelf. I was able to get the unit and a 4 year warranty for $186 after tax. This is a hue step up from my AVR-2301. It was an incredible deal, however, I get a flashing red ring when I power it on. It is on a box in the middle of the library, so I am pretty...
Taking Offers. These are officially taking up sapce... EH
I have two working units and two with only one tuner. Take both the working units for $80 plus shipping. Take all 4 for $100 plus shipping. Save them!!! NE IL and SE WI people might get free delivery if you are int eh right spot... EH
I think you probably rate as a premier custoemr sicne you have been around since 1997. Talk to retentions after they get teh equipment in and say its no better than your neighbors cable. Tell them you are going over if you don't get a free HD DVR. That will get things moving for you.
If you pay for the protection plan, just have them come out and track the issue down. I recently had some bad reception on a Tivo box (both tuners had 0 signal). My Ultimate TV could get signal from either cable on it's one working tuner. I called basically to get a new DVR. The guy plugged it in and said it had poor signal. Turns out most of the connectors on the muli-switch were hosed. He was surprised anything worked. He ran new cables where necessary and...
Seeing as there is not much interest in these anymore, I am entertaining offers. I would like to see at least the working unit go to a new home, so please make an offer. Assume shipping will be about $10-15. I guess the others will simply find their way to an electronics recycler. EH
The PSU failed UTV has been in my garage for well over a year now, so I feel pretty safe with the capacitors being discharged. I do have some heatsinks. Perhaps I can do some tweaking to find a unit that can be saved. Now I just need some more motivation and time to open it up again... EH
I am toying with the idea of swapping a PSU from a unit with a tuner failure into the one with the PSU failure to see if it works and how many tuners are still alive. Also, I can put the upgraded drives back into the units if that intices someone to take these. Or perhaps try your hand at a repair? I think there is thread on where the tuners can be ordered from. My soldering skills are sub-par, so all I would do is end up with a completely broken DVR. I imagine...
Well, I finally had enough RCA units fail that they have all replaced by the DirecTV DVR. I am not happy, but I simply can't justify fixing a bunch of old receivers and paying $10 a month to keep them running. I don't want to store a bunch of electronics when I know someone out there can use these. I would prefer to get rid of the whole lot to a single person, ideally in the NW Chicago suburbs, but I would be willing to meet or ship. I may be interested in items (a...