or Connect

Posts by NightSkyMurals

BTW.. Tom, did you see the article in Unique Homes magazine? The one about Night Sky Murals is on page 67 (short, but still in there) and then there's one about entertainment rooms, with some home theaters featured, on pages 88 & 89 The only thing that she got wrong was that she said I've done "dozens" of murals, instead of thousands. But, who's counting? :-) Here's a link to the magazine: http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...ee#/84ef8dee/1
Thanks for the questions... I am supposed to meet with him tomorrow. I finished painting too late today to get to his office. But, from what he was telling me on that flight... there are some really cool things that you can do with LED's. so, I am interested to see what can be done. I have your questions written down. Any others that can be sent before tomorrow afternoon (MT) can still get asked. Jeff
For those who have had a painted night sky mural (or anything similar) painted... I met a guy on a flight to either New Jersey or California (sometimes the locations all become a blurr) who has a LED lighting company and they have many different types of LED lighting products. He was telling me about one that they are either working on, or have now, that work as "grow lights" and one that is similar to "sun" light. I'm thinking that both of those should work as well as...
I just talked with a faux painter friend of mine and asked him about your question. He said that the darker primer you have would be best. He mentioned the "Gripper" primer as being really good, but said that since you already have the dark blue... that would work. If you used the white primer.... you would probably just have to put on more coats of black paint. I asked him if you could take your primer to the paint store and have some black color added to it... and he...
Hi Tom, I'll tell you... I sure love the winter sky, but it sure is getting cold out here to stay out too long to view it. I love seeing Orion again and last night I was showing the kids the Andromeda galaxy. That is really cool. It's weird how you can see it with your naked eye, but you wonder if it's really there or not. I can see a little color, but it is so slight that you can't really focus on it. Then we got out the binoculars. They had a blast. I did a quick...
Hi Tom! I have to tell you and every other vet on here... that I sure appreciate the service that you guys have given to this great country. And, I love it when I get to meet you guys through my work. Thank you for your service! I guess that in the military you not only get to "see the world"... but you get to see some pretty nice night skies too. Every time I hear stories from those who have served in the military... I always get to hear about how incredible the night sky...
Hey Xzener.... Thanks for that comment. That sounds like the perfect place to see the night sky. It must have been amazing. I did a mural for a guy who was a Navy Seal and he said the same thing that you did.... that the sky out there is like no other night sky anywhere. Very cool. Thanks again for adding to this thread! Jeff
Thanks Fuzzy Cliff! :-) That makes sense... and I will go with that. So, it sounds like it is not just our atmosphere that make them twinkle... but maybe other space dust too. Is that right? Or, did you mean just our atmosphere? It's an interesting subject. Thanks for your input. Jeff
Hi Tom... I hope all is well with you guys! You are correct... the planets don't twinkle like the stars do. I have explained that to my kids too, but I really haven't looked up as to why. Many people have said that stars twinkle because of the atmosphere and your eyes playing tricks... but the light from planets pass through the same atmosphere, so I'm not sure as to why. I guess that I will now look that question up. I should already have done that. But, having said...
I have seen the Laser Star Projector, or I think that was the one that I saw, at a customers house where I painted a mural. I thought it was really cool and way better than anything else that I saw. It did move a little too fast (kind of like a star version of a disco light), but was still fun. The Uncle Milton moons are pretty cool too. I've seen those in homes and like them. It's nice to be able to change it to the different phases of the moon. Your post is well timed....