or Connect

Posts by Ivan Beaver

I disagree.I have taken measurements of brand new speakers-then "broken them in" and noticed changes of maybe 1/4dB or so at some freq.I challenge anybody to hear that difference and be able to pick it out repeatably.Like many things, the reality is often very different than what people WANT to believe or are being told by others.There are some companies who charge you extra to have your speakers 'already broken in". Guess who this really benefits?How would you know?
Is there any noise in the room when making the measurement?if so that can affect the reading the meter shows. this is because if there is any noise (much anyway) the speaker will be acting like a microphone and producing a back EMF (voltage) that is going to the meter and throwing it off..Impedance is measured in ohms.RESISTANCE is the opposition to flow of DC voltage.IMPEDANCE is the opposition to flow of AC voltage (which is what music is).They are both measured in...
The SM60F also has a bit more extension on the top end (to above 20KHz)-but I can't hear that high anymore
It is not so much about how dynamic a system is-but rather the lack of interaction between drivers (both in the same freq band and adjacent bands)We hear combfiltering all the time (just turn on your car radio) and people get by just fine.But when the interference is minimized it gets better.Think of the Claritin commercials. You can still see everything-but it gets clearer.Many professionals are easily fooled by combfiltering. It depends on the amount and the freq of...
In the SM100 full range family the SM100B goes lower but the SM100F plays louder. Either one has plenty of output for your application.For general stereo playback I would pick the 100B-because of the extension.THe SM60F will be louder and a narrower pattern. If you can place it (angled side) against a wall you will pick up extra extension-without getting a reflection off of the wall. This helps get a cleaner sound due to less interference.You can also boost the low freq...
No it is not the end of the world and is still very "listenable"HOWEVER it is not as clear as a system that does not have it.Some people think McDonalds hamburgers are just fine-but they have not tasted a good filetIt all depends on where your "reference" is.
Of course once you subtract 15-20dB for dynamic range-and another 6dB for distance loses (most people don't sit within 1M of the speakers) the numbers are no so loud.And then there is the whole )is the sensitivity number a peak somewhere or an average across the band type of thing.it is real easy to get some high numbers-but often quite another to actually "experience" them.Just bringing in a little reality
Why would the model number make a difference? Most of Horizons snakes are custom made to the buyers specs and as such do not carry a "model number".
I would like to make it-but I have 2 "events" with the wife already planned. Neither can be changed.Maybe next time
Just be sure not to reduce the size of the exit of the DTS10. If anything-have it expanding-especially over a length of 10".Generally it is not a good idea to mix subs of different models (even from the same manufacturer).THe different phase responses will cause dips and peaks in the response that cannot be eqed out.It is far better to use more of the same sub model. That way they can all work together