or Connect

Posts by Marc_G

Horizontal banding. Perfectly normal on plasma TVs. It's an artifact of the technology used.
It syncs up the signal ensuring the incoming 1080p source signal lines up with the 1080p panel array exactly. With it active you can depend on a 1080 source not being scaled nor otherwise distorted. It made my HTPC output noticeably sharper.
Sawfish, Yes, AMD cards like to default to significant underscan. Exactly the screen you posted a shot of. Turning off scaling (or setting it to zero underscan, I think the same thing) and enabling 1080p60, coupled with Pixel Direct, is the secret sauce for pixel matching. Things look noticeably crisper. However, for those using Windows Media Center, without an external player such as MPC-HC, I found that WMC doesn't output the rightmost pixel column. Quite freaky...
On the TV, turn on Pixel Direct. On the HTPC CCC, make it no overscan and output 1080p60. It should line up perfectly. Note, the edge of the panel has about an eighth or so of an inch of "non-panel" area before you hit the bezel.I run a 1 pixel grid pattern and confirmed perfect pixel alignment. Note, Windows Media Center can't properly output the pattern (long story). I use Media Browser 3 using MPC-HC as an external player.Marc
This is odd... Several of my new releases this week are available 4/3/2014. That's Thursday. I'm used to Tuesday and sometimes Friday, but this is the first time I've noticed a Thursday release. And it's for two different sets of TV series. (Primeval New Dawn, Femmes Fatales). Of course, as has become customary on NF's new release page, these are nowhere to be found. I just happened to know they were eventually coming and had them in my Saved queue. Gosh I wish they...
The pixel orbiter drove me nuts until I turned it off. My TV is connected to just one video source: my HTPC. Losing the edge of the desktop during HTPC reinstall I did at the same time as getting the new TV, setup drove me batty. During screen configuration it drove me more batty. When I was trying to verify the edge of the video matched the physical edge of the screen, impossible with it on. I turned it off and haven't looked back since. Never hand any significant IR or...
What's the use case where you are seeing changes? In the specific limited ways I use the TV I haven't noticed any change to lip sync timings, so I'm curious about in what circumstances there are changes.Marc
FWIW, I haven't noticed any change after the recent forced firmware update with respect to lip sync. I have only used the tv to watch netflix streaming and content from my HTPC. For Netflix, I use sound via optical out of the tv to my receiver... the sound has always been a bit ahead of the video on the order of a ~40 msec frame. No change that I can tell. For my htpc content, I do video to the tv and audio straight from the htpc to the avr. I have something like 180...
The ST60 tends to require updates once it figures out one is available. They are not optional. This one reportedly corrects lip sync issues. Of course, I've already adjusted my HTPC and AVR to sync with the set, so all this update will do is screw me up...
For clarity on my own position, I much prefer Bluray, but I do watch DVD quality material and stream Netflix. We watched some Breaking Bad episodes just last night. Quality was very good, but I can easily discern artifacts in the SuperHD (1080p) stream that wouldn't be there if I was watching a less-compressed bluray version of the same show. The "House of cards opening scene" dark sky posterization is also very visible even in SuperHD... I doubt a bluray cut of that...