or Connect

Posts by slugwump

Excellent - thanks for the quick, useful info. Hooked up the red/white RCA cables, and did a test transfer of a 30 minute recording - seems to have worked like a charm. I'll add that I'm favorably impressed at the video quality - the source was HD, and it still looks quite good when viewing the copy on the Panasonic HD. Now burning a disc - if that looks nearly as good, then I'll be a very happy camper. Thanks again for the help (on this question in particular, and to...
Looking for some advice on the best/proper way to offload programs that were recorded to my Dish 722 HDDVR and transfer them to my Panasonic DMR-EH50. I recently dumped Comcast (gawd, did that feel good!), switched to Dish (and upgraded to a new HD TV - it has been a busy December in my house). So far, after a few weeks, we're quite happy with the Dish programming and the "DVR"/receiver (722). But after a few weeks, the hard drive is starting to fill up, and it's time...
Yep. Removed the Comcast box, plugged the coax feed straight into the new TV, did a channel scan. Found a bunch. It does not successfully tune many of the Basic Cable channels that I should be getting, but OTOH I am getting a bunch of channels, including some of the local network affiliates in HD, plus a few new (to me) other channels. Worked fine for the evening. I may futz some more with it over the next few days (I assume that plugging the Comcast box inline...
OK, thanks for that correction - looks like I conflated my terms (wouldn't be the first or last time). I assume that the necessary ports are available - I'm planning to do the same as described here by dare2be:I expect I'll be getting a 622/722/722k, which appears to have multiple output ports, and I've already got the Mag 515, which has multiple ports (I've also got a Panasonic DMR-EH50, but I don't think that unit will provide any additional functionality that the Mag...
It does have audio/video outputs. However, I'm really just looking at a temporary setup for a few days until we make other changes, so don't really want to bother with a splitter etc.Thanks, Desert Hawk, for the suggestions. Sounds like it might be a good way to go to maximize what I've got, but in this case I'll be upgrading some other items soon, including probably switching providers and definitely ordering HD - I'm OK with that, just not ready for a few days. My...
Checking back in - thanks again for the very useful information. I've been investigating my options in more detail, and it looks like I will be going a similar route. I stopped by Costco today and pickup up a new TV, so we now have a new set in the house to replace our main TV in the family room - this is our first digital/HD set (and yes, I had to shop around to find one that would fit in our entertainment nook - I did not want to initiate a complete room...
Here come my very basic, clueless noob questions. Your patience is appreciated! We've had basic, old tech cable for a long time. Basic cable service from Comcast, in via coax cable into a Comcast-supplied DTV box (Motorola DCH70) then into an older (but perfectly functional) analog TV. No HD content. We're finally beginning to upgrade a piece here and there. First component is our main TV: I brought home a new digital HD TV today (Vizio E422VA). If I simply...
Ah - so no high-speed dubbing from the Dish DVR to your Mag - any transfers there have to be done in real time, right? Can you then burn a DVD in the mag at high speed, or does that need to be done in real time too? Either way, that definitely would make one more selective in choosing how much you wanted to offload. Still, it *does* provide the option I'm looking for (albeit slowly and somewhat inefficiently - but I can probably live with slow-and-inefficient....right...
Thanks for the above and for the link. I have not yet explored Dish/Direct as an option, but I will definitely be investigating them. A cursory look suggests that they're no more expensive (probably cheaper) than Comcast, and get better consumer reviews (wouldn't take much!). dare2be, can you clarify the above about your workflow for archiving? How exactly do you get files off the Dish DVR for archiving? I see a reference in their PDF spec sheet about attaching an...
I've been very happy to receive DVDs in the mail from Netflix, and am a satisfied customer (apparently, just the kind of customers they can't wait to get rid of). I expect to continue doing so until they throw away that market. I'm not interested in streaming their content. Thanks.