or Connect

Posts by tonyreynolds

My SR800 plays movies with a nice full, volume at somewhere between 45 and 50, depending on the DVD and whatever their soundlevel encoding was. I have the sub turn up to the half-way point (12 o'clock...) Sounds as good as a real theater, better really, because I don't have some jerk behind me rattling a popcorn tub...
I have a similar set up. I sent my JVC DVD/VCR to HDMI 1 with the sound going to the AVR via Toslink and the Motorola STB going to HDMI 2 with the sound going to the AVR via the digital COAX input. I now get high quality ssound using either source. As noted above, the settings on teh reciever stay with the input selected.
I understand your input and I wasn't trying to negate the importance of sound, only saying that there is a physiological conflict in processing data. It's similar to watching an old 19" color TV from 25 years ago. One didn't pay much attention to the sound, that is until one got a chance to hear the single 3x5" speaker by itself with no picture! I personally like Klipsch cornerhorns, but don't have the room for them. Everything is a compromise. For my first venture into...
While I realize the importance of the speakers, those that come with the Onkyo HTiB are not that bad. No, they're not Polks, but they sound pretty awesome. I originally purchased the Onkyo HT-SR800 HTiB thinking that I would upgrade the speakers later. I'll eventually do that starting with the center, then the fronts and working to the sides and rear, putting most of my funds into the center channel. Others here may disagree, but keep in mind while you're looking for...
Actually, doing a search on Google shows that it ocurrs with many different brands of receivers: Yamaha, Denon, etc.
I finally got my system set-up versus having a string of temporary wiring everywhere. I play "Bourne Ultimatum" last night through the system (via Sanyo PLV-Z4) and everything was fantastic. Today I go to play a tape through to my Vizio 32" LCD. The tape started to play and then I got an HDMI HDCP error message. The message displayed every 30 seconds or so interrupting the tape. The internet is a marvelous thing. I now find that this is a common problem with...
An believe me, I really appreciate your input. When I purchased the SR800, I did not realize that it would only switch HDMI video and not audio as well. I found that out after the fact. I guess what I mistakenly thought was that even though it wouldn't "switch" the audio, it would "capture" the audio from ONE HDMI source and processes that one source to the speakers. This thing has been a great learning experience and I really don't want to diss Onkyo; they make a great...
Well, this is my first AVR. the receivers I've had in the past ONLY passed through audio, because that's all they did. The whole point of HDMI is to pass video AND audio in ONE CABLE. At least that's the promise of the format, as opposed to DVI or earlier cables that were video only. The other side of that promise is simpler wiring. I should have taken the SR800 back when I was still able and exchanged it for another receiver that would do both audio and video switching....
for me... I understood about it not being "true" HDMI switching as in audio/video, but video only. Even so, I had the mistaken notion that if I ran an HDMI cable from the cable box to the AVR, that it would pick up the audio, just not pass it through. I finally bit the bullet and got my 35 foot HDMI cable from Monoprice. Hooked it up from the Motorola DVR cable box to the SR800 AVR and there's video, but no audio. Everyone here says, "yeah, that's right..." This...
I haven't heard it since, so I think I'm okay. Still don't have the final install done, but I'm literally BLOWN AWAY by the sound and what a difference it makes.