or Connect

Posts by renethx

Thanks for the great suggestions, StinDaWg and madshi. As this is a HTPC forum, people usually play videos in full screen mode so that downscaling occurs only in two places: HD->FHD in Level 4 and 5. ("x" is multiplication, "/" is division, b=BC75AR) Nowadays 1366x768 displays are rare, so I ignore them. I also ignored luma quadrupling (N32 x N16), considering quality improvement / performance of the current crop of GPUs (SD upscaling by quadrupler in 4K display is...
I could refine levels like this and measure rendering time and/or GPU load for each GPU. Moreover chroma upscaling could be J3AR, N16, N32 etc., create another similar table for each. Then I could measure performance of each graphics card and I could give the most comprehensive performance charts. But I don't think that's helpful for most people. This simplified levels table may be enough to help a user to choose a proper graphics card (and it is a lot easier for me to...
This is the last thing you should worry about. Desktop Haswell processor under full load (CPU only) consumes very roughly:25W (2 core / 2 thread)30W (2 core / 4 thread)50W (4 core / 4 thread)60W (4 core / 8 thread)It's relatively easy to cool them down (partly thanks to 22nm process). Moreover TJMax (the maximum junction temperature) of these processors is 105 C degree (safe up to this temperature, beyond that CPU will be automatically throttled down to avoid damage)....
Yes, even Celeron G1820 is enough. Celeron (and any IVB / Haswell processor)'s QuickSync decoder is good for H.264 up to 4K 60fps (and QS decoder can be used with any graphics card as if it is a software decoder). When H.265 becomes popular, there will be a better platform (e.g. Skylake in 2016). I am not sure if Core i5 Haswell is fast enough to decode H.265 4K 60fps by brute force.
I can add Level 4c and Level 5c (NNEIDI3 16 / 32 x Jinc3AR). But it is hard to see an improvement by going from "b" to "c" (and GPU usage will be even higher). My statement that 4a=4b and 5a=5b when no luma upscaling is involved is incorrect. Correction.
You can build a decent 15-bay system with the latest hardware components for $500-$600: Celeron G1820 (fast enough for "Max Quality" transcoding of MB3 Server; see below) or Core i3/i5/i7 if you prefer, B85/H87 mb, DDR3-1600 2 x 2GB, AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 or ServeRAID M1015 8-port HBA, SY-PEX40039 2-port HBA, a 400-500W PSU, RPC-450B or RSV-L4500, Win8 with WHS2011 on VM for backup (or just WHS2011). Running SnapRAID or disParity against disk failure, using MKLINK to make all...
AMD FX-6300 is $120, the right competing Intel processor is Core i3-4130 ($125). Actually FX-6300 is a lot faster than Core i3. AnandTech Bench: (4130 is only slightly faster than 3220.) The score of 2nd Pass is important if you choose CRF (constant rate factor). The power consumption of FX-6300 is a lot high, so it is not so economical, however. If you are serious about x264 encoding, you shouldn't choose such a cheap processor, of course.
You can ditch GT 610 and save more power. GPU integrated in Celeron 1037u is enough for normal video playback. The build quality of BIOSTAR motherboard is usually good, just BIOS setup is not user-friendly. GIGABYTE GA-C1037UN is quieter.Efficiency of PSU is also important as mentioned in the second post. Under 18W load (typical power consumption of the system excluding PSU at idle), the difference of, for example, a 85% PSU and a 70% PSU is18W/0.7 - 18W/0.85 = 25.7W -...
Basically M.2 card (the successor to mSATA) support is the only new feature?