or Connect

Posts by jacob_coulter

I think 4k is what put the nail in Plasma's coffin. Consumers are going to start demanding their televisions be "4k" (even though most have no idea what that means or that there's zero content), and manufacturers know they're looking at a lot of R&D for a plasma line that's already dying. The idea of plasma staying at 1080p but LCDs being 4k would just be another point in consumer's mind that plasma is yesterday's technology. I would love to have a plasma with a Kuro's...
A bottom barrel plasma would be a huge improvement, I've seen brand new 40-something inch 720p plasmas for under $400 on sale. That's going to be a massive improvement to the viewing experience over a 27 inch CRT. I honestly don't know how you held out this long. I was a fan of CRT, but there's so much more to a viewing experience than black levels, the advantages of CRT started getting left in the dust about 15 years ago. I would take even a budget "new" LCD with a...
The thing is, the "digital" part of a receiver doesn't have as much to do with the weight. If you weighed all the circuit boards on Home Theater receivers from 10-15 years ago vs today, I doubt there's much difference.Also, on a cell phone, much of that bulky weight from years ago was due to the battery, an area that's made huge strides with things like Lithium but aren't really applicable to a receiver. But even a late 90's cell phone like say Motorola's StarTac...
But do all receivers use this digital switching supply, or is it just the newer ones with the Class D amps?
Okay, so how many pounds does a switching supply save versus the old style from say the early 2000's? 3 pounds?
But when you say they've changed to a digital power supply, that can't decrease the weight much more than a few lbs. I mean, we're talking 20 to 30lbs less in weight on some of these newer receivers. The flagship Denon 5803 weighed 63 lbs, their latest flagship weighs around 36 lbs. Did the previous receivers have things like heat sinks that were just over the top and unnecessary, or are consumers getting less quality that makes a difference? I'm sure if you did some...
I've been dabbling in Home Theater for a few decades, and a trend I've noticed is receivers seem to really be getting lighter. Even high end ones. I was helping a relative put together a system, and he purchased a "near" flagship Marantz receiver. (I think there's one model above it) It almost felt like a budget receiver that would come with a home theater in a box. I liked the unit when I got it all set up, but I will say the weight and the "feel" of the unit made...
When it says something like "4k pass through" can't it just pass a raw signal with zero processing, regardless of the eventual standard? Basically just copper wire? So you could put an adapter if say the HDMI 2.0 has a different connector? Almost like cat5 wiring in a wall to whatever you want later? I'm honestly not too worried about 4k for sound, but I'm one of those that still uses optical cables with some of my receivers, so I'm a bit behind. If 4k devices come...
I don't see 4k media taking off, but it really wouldn't be very hard to produce 4k media, especially since the Studio creates it for Digital commercial movie theaters anyway. I would think it would be a few key strokes and you could have it. Whether they want a near "Master Copy" released is a different question.The point is, with the internet as a distribution channel and the media already made, it wouldn't be that difficult for Studios to have a niche product that...
I wouldn't go that far, I think 4k will be the new thing Joe 6 Pack demands from his next TV, but most won't understand that it doesn't really matter if there's almost no media to support it. They just assume if the TV can do 4k, everything else falls into place. In 5 years, I predict most flat screens will be 4k models, with 1080p being budget WalMart-type offerings. No manufacturer is going to want one brand to have that advantage over their model, so they'll all go...