or Connect

Posts by Bear5k

I'm not sure I understand the question. If your Green primary location is shifted a bit "down and to the left" on the xy plane, then you may not be able to correct it to the defined target -- only minimize the resulting color error. Any CMS will need to start with oversaturated primaries in order to hit some form of virtual primary. If you are starting with an undersaturated primary, then there is less room to maneuver.As for pricing and details on the CMS box, take a look...
One should note that the simplest (most elegant?) CMS design would correct the primaries, and then have the secondaries be automatically corrected as the sum of the new primaries. However, to do this, you have to do the corrections in linear RGB for it to be effective. There are lots of other ways to accomplish this, though, so whether you actually lose anything by not having the ability to edit the locations of the secondaries is implementation-dependent. Bill
The cable box thing is an EDID issue, and is not typical of my experience with HDMI outputs from STBs. Many, many receivers, displays and video processors convert RGB to YCbCr and back internally for processing, so you almost always have the possibility of errors. The key is making sure that the unit does the right thing with the signal internally.
It would be helpful if you didn't speculate on your competitors' products. The specifics of launch pricing and the EAP were posted in a thread in the Calibration forum, or people can contact SpectraCal directly.
Nils - You mention that Y of red is 35% too high. Does this mean that your red luminance is around 0.28 of white? What were the measured coordinates of your red primary and how does its luminance compare with its theoretical given its location? (I can run the calculation for you, or you can use the color target editor in CalMAN to do this, but it sounds like you've already done it...) Bill
Yes, you draw a line from the white point to the target primary location and set that to be 100% saturation. You then measure the length of the line from white to your actual primary and scale accordingly. As I mentioned, above, this makes the resulting measurement dependent upon the coordinate system. If you use xy, it will produce a very different result than if you use u'v'. To measure saturation error, I HIGHLY suggest using color error (dE) instead of percent...
You can check out CalMAN, including a demo application and pricing, from the website: www.spectracal.com. Any of us would be happy to answer specific questions, though within the limits of the "no marketing" rule.
This actually depends upon the layout. You can set up the layout to use the global option or a specific set. The default-delivered layout uses some elements of dE94. Probably a better topic for the SpectraCal support forum, though.
Not to second-guess your decisions, but sans WAF issues, you might want to reconsider the budget allocation a bit. The AVR-5308 was a beast in its day, but it is getting on towards three years old at this point and a significant portion of its cost was that Realta implementation. If your content preferences have shifted to HD for both broadcast content and packaged media, you are probably throwing good money at a sub-optimal solution. For SD broadcast, something like an...
Throw a shell on it and you basically have a WhiteHorse. The Algolith Dragonfly was very similar, as well, including the hot-running chip. (Note the heatsink + fan on the Niobe)