or Connect

Posts by Bear5k

As Tom says, you do need instrumentation, otherwise you are going off of your relative perception, which has been "colored" (bad pun) by what you've been watching. One thought, though, I have heard that the Japanese standard is a 9300K white point, but I've never been able to find anything official on that (my Japanese is non-existent). If true, you will want to take some of that into account.Bill
If you want, you can send me a spreadsheet or similar to look over the math you used. I need a distraction from writing documentation. Be sure to include what you assumed for the coordinates for each primary. I'm not an RS1 owner, so I haven't been keeping up with this ongoing drama. However, I do have a habit of playing with color "stuff". The CIE chart isn't perceptually uniform, so you shouldn't draw too big of an inference from it. Look at a gamut using uv space, and...
Mine was postmarked on 9/24. I did not receive it until Friday - almost three full months since my submittal. This is my last time fooling around with a Panasonic rebate.
Your grayscale changes the relative balance of your primaries to make your secondaries. Once you change the grayscale, you are going to have to go back and validate the color decoder, so you might as well skip that step and do it all at once later. Bill
This forum is a great place to start. You have several professionals answering your questions. The question I would pose to you is how deep do you want to go? There is a calibration FAQ stickied at the top of the forum. It's a good place to start. Then try a calibration disc. AVIA is generally better for new users (best explanations and most easily navigated), but you will outgrow it if you want to go further. After that, read my How-To for calibration (it is linked in the...
Alright, two follow-ups if you don't mind. Only one of which is related to the review, and I bet that is the one you may be most willing to answer. 1) A 10-bit processor means that it could take a 10-bit signal, but do you know whether it will take anything higher than 8-bit YCbCr or RGB as an input via HDMI?and2) (OT) Will the HDG-4000 allow users to specify bit-depth (8, 10 or 12-bit 4:2:2) for the output signal so that we can test these ourselves? Do let us know when...
Greg - Kudos, as always. A comprehensive job. Can't wait for the HDG-4000 to go on sale. I checked the HDMI input section, but did not see whether Sony supported taking a 10 or 12-bit 4:2:2 signal. Were you able to test higher bit-depths as part of the review? Bill
First question! Greg - Can you confirm the MSRP at $4999? There is some continued confusion on whether this is MSRP or MAP. Personally, I'm going with you and Sonystyle.com, but it's really the first question to ask for me (I can't buy it if I don't know how much it actually costs!). Bill
You may find this thread on our forum of interest (free registration required):http://www.datapopuli.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=194Bill
Um, not really. The BenQ W10000 has a 250W lamp and the Sharp has a 220W lamp. Both come out in the ~200 lumen range (or lower) in their highest contrast modes. An extra 20% - 25% of lamp power is not going to equal an extra 100% of lumen output holding contrast equivalent. If this thing is hitting ~5000:1 on/off, then I will be PLEASANTLY surprised if it is cranking out much more than 250 lumens.I'm not trying to poo-poo people's excitement. I'm merely trying to be...