or Connect

Posts by hedg12

There are quite a few DIY options out there now days that will do what you want. Cocoontech has quite a bit of info and links as well as a good community for DIYers. If you're not opposed to a PC running 24-7 you might check out CQC from Charmed Quark. It'll do everything you want, has a completely customizable UI, & is very DIY friendly. Dean Roddey - the guy behind CQC - is a regular here on AVS as well as over at Cocoontech & always seems to be very responsive with any...
Have you checked out cocoontech.com?
Most phones will let you download apps via wifi even if the phone is inactive - if yours won't it's probably because of some arcane carrier customization. Too bad more apps aren't available as .apk files that can be side loaded through a sd card.
Archos used to make some small android devices, but looking at their website it appears that they don't anymore. There are still a few available on Amazon, but they're pricey. Might try Ebay. If you really want a small screen, you could just pick up a used Android phone. They'll generally work fine as Android devices without being activated as a phone. (Do some homework if you decide to go this route - if they've been reset & are looking for activation on first boot you...
I do this in my family room. It's not optimal, but it works pretty well. I wouldn't do it in a dedicated room, but it's a good compromise between function and WAF. I wouldn't recommend using the soundbar for the center with the in ceilings for FL & FR though - you want the speakers to be matched if possible, and the difference in height between the fronts and the center might throw the imaging off.
Not sure if it's smart or not, but I am sure it works. I've used a similar setup to heat my "office" (Finished 8 X 20 garden shed) for the last 4 years or so. I have a 12vdc wall wart wired through the heating terminals of an old school bi-metal thermostat connected to a 20A solid state relay that in turn switches 120vac to a standard outlet. I have an oil filled convection heater and a small fan plugged in to the outlet. The temperature swing is probably a little wider...
The CT600 has a 1/8" jack on the back that will accept I.R. from Xantech hardware, & the in-wall keypads have I.R. receivers. The keypads just send I.R. commands to the base unit & are programmed just like older URC MX series remotes (the keypads and remotes were made by URC.) The software is still available on B&K's website. In another life I worked for an integrator who was a B&K dealer, & I installed a few. Never had much experience programming one, though. The CT600...
You should be able to do what you want with a usb-uirt and eventghost. You'd learn the AVR's volume and mute commands into eventghost via the usb-uirt, then map the volume keys in eventghost to send the IR out either the built in blaster on the usb-uirt or through an emitter connected to it. There's a bit of a learning curve to eventghost (not too bad) but once you get the hang of it you can do some really neat stuff with it. There may be less expensive and more elegant...
I'm still in the planning stages for my AV/automation system and have pretty much decided that I'm going to use multiple AV receivers to switch and distribute media to my zones that have video. Since my overall budget for automation/AV is shrinking (the wife think new flooring & paint are more important - imagine that) I'm looking for 1 receiver in the sub $1500 range for the family/media room & 3 in the sub $500 range (the cheaper the better) for the bedrooms (for now -...
I'm currently using Eventghost with a USB-UIRT to switch inputs on my tv and receiver. I use Openremote to send commands via UDP triggered by a UI on my ipad and android phone, & Eventghost interprets them & sends keystrokes, launches batch files, & sends I.R. It works pretty well, although I'm having a problem with the Openremote server crashing (it's Apache Tomcat - I plan to re-install it as a service, but haven't had time lately to play.) Openremote has the ability to...