or Connect

Posts by sarangiman

I finally solved this issue, which I was having as well! Every time I'd shut off the receiver, or any time the DLNA server (Synology NAS, using my iTunes library/folder) would restart, trying to access the DLNA server via the Yamaha receiver was an exercise in futility. I'd have to wait forever for the files to load. The entire process seemed random and was frustrating, at best. In frustration, I ended up pressing a lot of random buttons on my Yamaha RX-V473 remote (who...
Yup, I hear you brother. Here's some documentation on what I had to go through to get a good HCHP screen:http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449462/draper-contrast-radiant-vs-da-lite-high-contrast-high-power-hchp#post_23889109Like you said, they should make the old 2.8 available or, at the very least, implement some decent QC. I only got a decent screen (still not perfect) after asking a manager to explicitly QC before wasting my time/effort by shipping me some crappy screen. In...
Just an update: I ended up getting a relatively 'clean', without much banding, Da-Lite HCHP screen after explicitly demanding that a manger there perform a personal QC before shipping the screen to me. To avoid wasting my time & effort in doing this QC myself, & having to ship back these huge, heavy things. Not to mention the pain of assembling the screen just to find out it has all the aforementioned issues. Funny enough - it took them a long time to QC. The manager's...
Yeah, I'm not sure how the 1000ES could not flicker in 3D unless it were using 144Hz panels. Anything less (120Hz or lower) and my eyes would detect the active shutters at work, since I'm sensitive to 60Hz flicker (& thus am especially sensitive to the 48Hz flicker for 3D/DFI on the 50ES).Can anyone comment on the frequency actually used for 3D on the new Sony? Please feel free to PM me (P.S. I really wish these forums had user tagging like Facebook... so hard to sift...
conan48: Yes I also noticed that VW1000 users didn't report flicker with DFI; however, as I mentioned earlier, I wasn't sure if that was just b/c there's not a big enough sampling pool Also, my HW50ES doesn't appear to have red frame insertion. It appears to just be black frame insertion. Here are a couple of shots taken at high shutter speed with DFI enabled: Looks like a complete dark frame to me. I seem to have caught it in the middle of a panel update, hence why...
Interestingly, cine4home.de points out that DFI is now intermixed with MotionFlow options: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fcine4home.de%2Ftests%2Fprojektoren%2FSony_VPL-VW500%2FSony_VPL-VW500_Test.htm&act=url I just wonder if any of those modes drive the panels at 144Hz or faster. Else we're still stuck with 48Hz flicker in 3D & using DFI. Anyone sensitive to flicker seen 3D or DFI on the new Sony projectors?
Does anyone know if the new projectors from Sony display 3D using 144Hz processing (72Hz per eye) to avoid the flicker that 48Hz per eye creates? I can't enjoy 3D on my HW50ES due to the 48Hz flicker. Furthermore, once they implement panels capable of switching at 144Hz, they could filter this mode down to Dark Frame Insertion (DFI). This would essentially insert black frames with a frequency of 72Hz, which is much more palatable than the 48Hz flicker with the DFI...
Btw I remember it was mentioned somewhere that the increased contrast/sharpness with DFI is due to processing designed to combat the inherent drop in brightness. It's actually somewhat unfortunate, as I find the increased contrast/sharpness distracting & somewhat unnatural with certain content. As long as they spent the R&D developing DFI, I really wish they'd make more effort to refine it. I seriously don't know of anyone who uses DFI b/c of the rampant flicker. This is...
Nice to see a thread on Dark Frame Insertion (DFI) as it's just not discussed enough, IMHO. I can't use DFI on my HW50ES with 24p content b/c of the pervasive flicker. It appears to me to be 48Hz flicker, though I'm just guessing, based on my observation that the frequency of the flicker appears to be similar to the flicker present when viewing 3D on the HW50 (which is supposed to be 48Hz). For all I know, it could be 24Hz flicker. I have no way of measuring. It's very...
Yes, on a paused image, there's a lot of 'stuff' going on on the screen. 'Noise' is the best way I can describe it. If I recall correctly, DLPs have it worse though b/c of the dithering (I briefly owned a BenQ 7000). Doesn't bother me too much on the Sony, but I do notice it, and I do wonder what exactly it is.I've noticed flicker, mostly visible in 'Low Lamp' mode, in 3 different HW50 units. I ended up keeping the unit that had the best lens focus uniformity &...