or Connect

Posts by sarangiman

Allow me to report back with my experience on the Draper Contrast Radiant screen. The Draper tensioning system is better than Da-Lite's snap system. It applies even texture, so, no possibility of ripples. But the process of getting that last rod across the last notch will require many people pulling that last section. Careful: if you're just one person, you'll likely injure yourself like I did (cuts + pulled muscles in my hand). I, personally, might put up with...
For the sake of posterity, I've drawn out some possible scenarios for Dark Frame Insertion here: http://cl.ly/MQB9 (3) is likely most desirable. Though I label it as "Frame-tripling', you can think of it as 'Frame-sextupling', where you replace every other frame with a black frame. This'll lead to 72Hz flicker, & is what Sony should do. Let's hope they implement it in the future.
As promised, I'm reporting back with my experience on the Draper Contrast Radiant screen. The Draper tensioning system is better than Da-Lite's snap system. It applies even texture, so, no possibility of ripples. But the process of getting that last rod across the last notch will require many people pulling that last section. Careful: if you're just one person, you'll likely injure yourself like I did (cuts + pulled muscles in my hand). I, personally, might put up with...
Here's one image that showcases all the problems with HCHP/Contrast Radiant screens: Full-Size Image: http://cl.ly/NEsV/HCHP&ContrastRadiant-Dirtiness.jpg Note the large oval smear (circled in blue) near the bottom right of the attached image of the screen. That's what happens when you try to clean the screen. There's some residue being spread around. Note the rectangles all over the screen that are brighter than the rest of the screen (2 such rectangles are circled in...
Interesting Kjelt. Thanks for your report. How many lamp hours do you have on there? I'm on hour 260 of my lamp. I still notice it from time to time, though. If it is the lamp, it could also have to do with the heat/how long the lamp has been on. The longer it's on the hotter it'll likely be, which can affect electrical arcing. And if that's the source of the flicker, the flicker might diminish after you've had the projector on for a long time (or by running it in high...
Dylan, Just wanted to ask you how certain you are that, and to what extent, your replacement HCHP screen from Da-Lite is free of texture? Is it just 'mostly OK', or is it really completely clean? No lines/banding anywhere? Often I'll find on these screens that if I stick up one of those sample Da-Lite screen patches (that have one-line of sticky tape on the back), and pull it off, that sticky area will pull off a bunch of the dirt-- the result being you'll have one small...
I was told by a Sony rep that the VW1000ES is the first 'digitally-driven (panels)' Sony SXRD projector. Does anyone know exactly what that means? LCOS itself should be analog at the level of the liquid crystals, unlike DLP which is 'digital' (mirrors simulate on/off) and achieves tones by dithering. So what's a digitally driven panel when the panel is made of liquid crystal arrays? Having 'analog' levels attainable by the orientation of the liquid crystals is actually an...
I'm really having a hard time getting a HP or HCHP (High Contrast High Power) screen from Da-Lite or Draper that doesn't have banding/texture/dirtiness. I've never heard of complaints of the old HP 2.8 material having this problem. Anyone have one to sell & ship to Seattle, WA? If you have just the screen (for a Cinema Contour or similar frame), that'd work as well. Just really want a screen with a narrow viewing cone & high gain. This combo is miraculous in its...
Yup, I can confirm that it's very difficult to snap the HP/HCHP material on the Cinema Contour frame. But once you do, it's tensioned like a drum Only problem I had was that some of the buttons/snaps tried to tension the non-tensionable HCHP material so much that it created small ripples. But they're small ripples at the corners, where most tension is applied. Like 3-4 ripples in two corners. Not terrible, but no ideal either.Draper's tensioning system which applies even...
That's a good point, but my initial goal of this test was to see whether or not you'd benefit from a higher native contrast projector based on your room setup (of which the main factors are: (1) ambient light, and (2) reflections/scattering of light from screen to walls/ceilings back to screen).So, actually, for this test I would suggest throwing up a bright scene. Yes, the test conflates ANSI contrast & ambient light/reflections in determining if you should get something...